Huge flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by crusinman2002, Apr 12, 2007.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i was looking for some info on santee cooper in SC and came across this picture, its sad that the fish wasn't cpr'd... it says that it was caught on a trotline, but it doesn't say a weight or a measurement... but i'm sure this guy nearly had a heart attack seeing this fish come up while pullin in his trotline... lol

http://www.sccga.org/pop_cat.htm

2. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    he looks like hes shocked in the photo thanks for the pic
    :cool2:

3. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I agree, this fish should have been let back in. can you imagine this one on a rod? holy smoke.. what a fight it would put up.

I'm still tryin for my ND state record fish and got close last year. I am ready to weigh and measure and let go. our official weigh site is less than a 1/2 mile from the river so it should all go good for catch and release..

4. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Good night !!!!!! That is a monster.I would have fell out seein that rascal come to the surface:big_smile_2: Wonder what he weighs?

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol, The way I heard it is that they were twin flatheads.:lol:

Attached Files:

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I wonder how old it is.

7. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Perhaps someone of influence in the BOC ahould contact the organization who's website the first link belongs to. There are a lot of big fish in the photo gallery that look as if they were not CPR'd. I cannot imagine any value in keeping a fish that size. Maybe for 20 min. of glory at the docks. I cannot imagine it would be edible. Perhaps with a little education they would realize that the odds of their clients catching big fish gets better every time they release a big one. It's not like you can't weigh and measure it and get a reproduction made if you wanted the trophy. One more thing a guide service can offer the client.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    lol... is that a photoshop? or is it a photo u found?... lol... twins that size would be nice...

as for them being edible, i don't imagine that they would taste that good being that big... i found that over 10 pounds the meat starts getting rough and starts getting a mud taste to it... but thats just what i have noticed... if i would have caught one that big, i would weigh it measure it, take my pic with it, and then let it go... if it were a record, then i would have to resort to every measure that i have to keep it alive and get it on a certified scale with the dnr and then it would get released... i don't have enough freezer space for that much meat... or a deep fryer big enough... lol... and i don't have that much wall space to put it or a replica of it on my wall... lol... but anyways... i always cpr anything over 10 pounds or anything that i'm not goin to eat... mostly what i'm not goin to eat, cause i don't have many chances to get them over 10 pounds... lol

9. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hey Jack, put both those flats in the cooker just behind that guy, and it might feed those of us at Keystone #5 this year.:big_smile: :big_smile:

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    now that is one big old flathead thanks for sharing that with us

11. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    That Picture has been posted on here about 10 different times. It is obvious that the entiere pic is photo shop. I doubt that the fish is as big as it looks. Sorry But I cant take it anymore. It has been circulating here for 2 or 3 years now.

Still the fish is nice.

12. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    wow that was a whopper...how much did he weigh.

13. Boy of boy is that a really small guy or what......

14. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yea, I have seen that pic a few times already this year. But every time I see it I get pissed off that some dumb ass would keep it just to take home and take a picture of it. The best tasting catfish is from 2-9 pounds in my opinion and to keep a fish that is clearly over 30 years old simply to show off to your friends is pathetic. I keep a disposible camera in my tackle box for that very reason.

15. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    thank you, and i think all fisherman should bring a camera, just so that we don't have to kill the biggen's just to take a picture with it... i always carry my digital camera and my camcorder with, and they are in a waterproof sealed case that will even float if it goes overboard.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

It's all photo shop Ken. If the truth be known that fish is probably thirty pounds or so and slid in from the side just like I did the second one. lol :roll_eyes:

I am with the majority here though in that I would release a big fish, that is if I ever catch one.lol I have never kept a fish over ten pounds, it's just to much work hauling them up the bank and home. lol:big_smile:

17. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i kinda figured it was prolly all photoshop, thanks jack... but i got to lookin around cause someone had pointed out that there were alot of big fish being kept with that guide service, and all the guided that i found on lake marion had pictures of people keeping big cats... if i were a guide on that lake (heck any lake), i would tell people that they are not to keep catfish over 10 pounds, but if guides were to do that they would loose business so they let everyone keep what is legal to keep.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i bet that guy got a good case of rope burn from that pig! too bad that big tail didn't whip around and smack him upside the head for not letting it live.

19. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Well I just thought that I would try to shed a lil light on this subject. If you look at the pic that I have you can clearly see shadows on objects all around that I have pointed out but neither the flathead nor the man cast a shadow....... So my conclusion is that this was a decent photo shop but not that good.

Attached Files:

20. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    To whom it may concern,
    There are indeed several guides on Santee lakes that do practice this "CPR" you describe. They give the client a payback option to release fish over 30 lbs. and some even have a mandatory release on fish over 40 or 50 lbs. (can't remember). I saw it posted on a thread yesterday where someone made a very good point-Some people take this CPR thing wayyyy too far with catfish. It's not like they don't reproduce at all people-if someone wants to keep a large catfish it's their own #$%@ business, no one else's. It is still a free country as far as I can see, and this is a "Catfishermen's" website, not necessarily a CPR-only website. I know this post will chap some asses, but I'm just making my opinion known just like everyone else on here.