HUGE Flathead catfish hooked in Lake LANIER!!!

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jerseycat9, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Last night we were fishing off of our dock to be for a few hours with worms looking for some channels to fry up. At about 9pm the rod furthest from me starts slowely bending and just kept going:eek:oooh: I walked up to it and picked it up and started to reel (circle hooks) At first I thought I was snagged but then I felt what ever it was come up off the bottom and start pulling away from me ever so slowly. After about 5 or so minutes about 10 feet off the dock I got him to surface:crazy: Im tellin ya guys 45 inches or better and pushing 40lbs is my estimate:crazy: I tell ya though up until that point it may have been the worst fighting fish I ever hooked felt like draggin in a big old turtle but then as I was easing him in towards the dock he had just about enough and turned and with one foul swoop of his tail he turned the opposite direction and pop out comes the hook. I was only rigged with 20lb test and using small circle hooks so I was lucky to have got a good view of him Im still amazed that in 35 feet of water he sought out my worm balled up on the bottom :eek:oooh: Ive seen the pictures before and heard the stories but I now know for a fact there are some flatheads in lanier. Tight lines Lanier catters!! Oh and he was hooked inthe flat creek section of lanier I wont give up to many details ya gotta put in the work ya know:smile2:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You never know what might be on the other in so be prepared for a big one and reps for a good story

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    In lanier? How many beers had you drank. Just kidding good story.

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    LOL No alcohol involved and buddy I almost crapped my pants when it surfaced:eek:oooh: I thought possibly a big old turtle or maybe even a carp but I was pleasantly surprised then unpleasantly disappointed seconds later when he took off on me

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good story! The 20 lb line is enough to hold a big fish, as for the hooks i like using at least an 8/0 circle. Wish you could've got him in would love to have seen a pic!

6. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Conrats on almost landing it...but atleast you saw it! Would have probably been a lake record.....!

Makes me want to get out at night and do more catfishing in Lanier!

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    The one question Im left with is this; how long has this fish been in here?? Flathead catches have only recently become yearly occurances. The biggest I know of is 33lbs with pictures. Was he in here since being a hatchling or was he realesed into the lake?? It was huge he is old but how how long has he been in the lake

8. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thats a good question!

I was fishing in my yak several months ago and went behind a houseboat to get out of the wind/rain. I got a huge hit on a downlined BB, the hit wasn't like when a striper hits, what ever the fish, it peeled off a bunch of line until my leader snapped. I am certain it was a big cat.

I wonder where they come from also, maybe they have always been there, but not in numbers due to the stripers/spots out competing them for food.

Guess I am going to gear up go catch one! They are in there!

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I had a similar experience this spring not far from lula bridge Im wondering if there could be a population increase with the lower water levels the past few years. Ive seen a few pictures this year on GON that showed some healthy looking flatheads from lanier. All of them were caught around the clarks bridge area the one I hooked is the first I know of down here in the main lake though:roll_eyes:

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    You got the flathead fever now?

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Im still not sure if its worth pursuing to hard. I may set up some brush piles off the end of our dock and see what moves in come spring. Plus this was my first cool water fight from a flathead and it was more like reeling in a tire than catching a big catfish for most of the fight :smile2:

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Best part is you got a good look at it. Good story and thanks for sharing it. Most of us at some point get alittle suprise every now and then

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, that's crazy! Sucks you didn't land the beast, but that is good to know about Flats in Lanier. Thanks for the story.

14. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wow, awesome! That might make me actually go fishing again in Lanier! Haven't been but twice all year.

Glad to hear you got em so close to your place too. Must be nice to be so close to some fish!! :)

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Nice story.

16. Freeman.360

Freeman.360 Guest

man nice story

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good Story.....thanks for sharing it. I once caught a Nice Flatty of 32 Lbs. on 8 night crawlers on a 4/0 J-Hook. I use Bluegill 100% of the time now though. I think that night crawlers are often overlooked as a good Flathead bait, but there are actually quite a few caught on them.:eek:oooh:

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats brother, hope you get him in the next time!!

19. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

hummmmmmmm hey ma ,:eek:oooh:we gotta go to da lake!