Huge Flathead catfish caught on the neuse river in North Carolina

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by tammeej, Apr 12, 2006.

1. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    We were fishing in the neuse last night and had two huge flathead catfish on at the same time.Rons fish finally got to the boat and went underneath and snapped off the 30 pound test.10 minutes later Elton got his to the boat.According to the scales at the dock this fish weighed between 80 to 85.I know it was bigger than the 65 pound i caught last year.Its a long story but the fish died before we could get him back to the dock because he wouldnt fit in the live well.we tried to keep him alive but surprisingly he died fairly quick.so after we took pictures one of the guys took him home and was going to eat him.After we got back out and realised it was probably state record Ron tried to get a hold of the guy that took him.He knew his name but his phone was unlisted.To make a long story short its possible state record was broken last night on the neuse.here are a few pictures.The pictures dont do any justice because he looked a lot bigger then he does in pictures.Anyway we had a great time.Even if he wasnt a record he was one nice fish.We caught him on cut shad in about 20 to 25 feet of water at 8:00 p.m

2. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    sorry in first post i couldnt get the picture upload tool to work, so here are a couple of pictures.

Attached Files:

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    really stinks that the old codger died. but at least someone is going to eat it.

don't know if it will be any good....:sick-big:

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Wow thats awesome, I cant wait to go tonight. I love flathead fishing, they never give up.

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Great catch! Bummer he died though. At least you tried keeping him alive and that is what is important. :)

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That's too bad. Hey what kind of bait were you using? I know the state record was caught on live eel. Just curious as to what he bit.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Fantastic Fish! Great Job guys... and Gal! Bet that was a blast 2 biggies on like that at the same time!

8. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Great catch. To bad he didnt make it though.:sad:

9. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That is the stuff alot of us lay awake at night dreaming about. Sorry to hear that it died though. I am a firm believer of catch and release on big cats.

10. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    we caught him on cut shad at 8:00 pm

11. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    yes we are all believers of catch and release to.We all felt bad he didnt make it.I think he must have been an old fella and maybe a bit frail because he was dead within 30 minutes and u know cats are tougher than that.We always release the big ones this is the first one that has died.It was a great feeling for all of us when he caught him because you dont get many chances like that.We had been fishing all week about 5 hours a day just catching a few small cats,them BAM two bigs ones on at the same time.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    big big fish

You should have checked to see if it was a record. your local new would have done a story and your fisherman would have appeared.

what a shame big fish like that giving up his life for nothing.

13. CATCPA

CATCPA New Member

State:
    NC
    You guys had the state record. It is 78lbs caught on the Cape Fear River in Fayetteville. Should of had him weighed before you ate him.

14. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    tameej, i aint tryin' to start nothin', but i would check those scales. that looks like a 30-40 lb fish to me.....unless the person with flip flops on has a size 30 foot.

heres my bro holding a 45lber
    [​IMG]

15. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    anything is possible,it could have been off but i know it was a bigger fish then what i caught last year wich was definitely weighed 65.i agree it does look smaller in picture.here is another picture with a 9 year old boy beside him.either way what ever he weighed it was a lot of fun

Attached Files:

16. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Went out tonight and caught an 11lb blue and a 40lb flathead, not sure if I believe the scale or not but its probably close. It was 44 inches long. Caught him on a live bluegill in about 25 feet of water, will post pics tomorrow evening I'm going to bed.

17. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    tameej,I was just wondering, Did you get a length on him?

18. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    again, i am not callin' you out:)

length is important, but not a defining measurement for weight, but will get you close. a 60lb flat should be 50+ inches...an 80 is a humongous fish.
    the flat my brother was holding was almost 47 inches

19. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    somebody at the scale played a joke. that fish looks to be 30 maybe, look at it's head next to the feet, look at the mouth. we all know for a fact that a big flathead can hold a basketball in it's mouth, we seen the picture on this board.

I sure could be wrong But.

20. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    lol like u said it could be wrong(i mean a man did weight it) lmao.the state record cat caught in cape fear was only 52 inches long and weighed 78 pounds though.i guess ill never know for sure now ,so we will have to keep going back out and try to catch another one.If we do believe me, i will get it weighed and measure it.The only measuring tape Ron had only went to 32 inches and he was a lot longer than that.darn now i have to spend more time out fishing lol