Huge Fish!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Wickedbreed, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Wickedbreed

Wickedbreed New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey guys im new here and today i went fishing in gibson county @ a lake by my dads rivercamp....well after about 6 hrs fishing and catch 5 or so 10+# gar i caught a 5.5# white perch....as i was sticking him on the stringer i was lookin out at the lake and seen a catfish come to the top of the water and kind of dive back down (whale like) no splash really but the dorsel fin on top was a good 2ft plus tall and he seemed as big as the bed of my truck as i am newer to cat fishing i was wondering what to use to catch a fish of this size here in indiana....there was cats jumping all day long EVERYWHERE around me and i didnt catch anything...i use a 3/0 hook on 60# test line with a 2 oz weight a 8ft pole with a 808 on it.......for bait i was using night crawler aboiut a 1/2-1 full one just enough to cover the hook or some liver....any help is def appreciated

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sound like you got quite a brute there. My recomendation would be live bait, bluegils, creek chubs, shad, goldfish, anything with some size to it most guys on here like to use 4-6 inch fish for bait. You should use a fairly big hook 8/0 maybe bigger, it sounds like you have the right setup for heavy fishing rod and reel wise. Just need some patience and maybe take a good night trip where you don't have anything to do the next day.

Aaron

TA2D

3. Wickedbreed

Wickedbreed New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey thanks ill try that.....do you know what might possibly be the size of this fish??....the only thing i could get from him was the top of it was dark brow/black maybe and the bottom was more of a yellow or dirty white???

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a big flathead you got there, but it was strange to hear of him being on top of the water like that in the daytime. Anyway, live bait might be the best bait, or either fresh cut bait. Good Luck catching him!

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Are you sure it wasn't a carp?
    They are often on top of the water and have that same darker top and yellow looking underside. And of course, they can get very large.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    6/0 hook, same line, rod and reel.... use a bait fish (bluegill, shad, perch, what ever you can get a hold of thats around 5-7 inches... Pitch it out there weightless 1-2 ft below a 1 or 2 inch cigar bobber and let it sit... you want to keep the bait off the bottom since they are feeding or mating up by the surface...

7. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Good luck on getting that Brute, and welcome to the BOC!!!!!

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

And if that doesn't work, ya might try, just for kicks and grins, a homemade dough bait made with cream corn. It might just be a big carp, but whatever it is. HOLD ON TIGHT. Don't want it to pull YOU into the water and drag ya round like a skier

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC, good to see fellow Hoosier. For the big cats, use any live fish, bluegills, shad, suckers, chubs, goldfish, rock bass. Good luck.

10. Wickedbreed

Wickedbreed New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey thanks guys i will try any and all of the above....srry havent been on a few days the fiance and i bought a house in columbus about 10-30 min from indy and been busy roofing but i am goin the tom....any one know any good spots near where the new house is??

11. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. My recommendations would be the same as the ones that you have already received. If it is a Flathead than live bait would be your best bet. Just be patient he is a wise old fish and may not take the bait right off. Also practice catch and release, but get some pictures first and if he is that big you may want to get him weighed first.

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Blues often surface like that epecially when there are shad in the area. I have seen them rip thru a school of shad scattering them like a stampede. In one of the areas I fish I consider it a great sign when I see the monsters surface. It means their active and that means a good day. See ya on the water!

13. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Welcome aboard. you already have all the advice you need. So be patient and good luck.

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    This is the place to learn if you want to catch big cats. Hope that one is on your avatar soon. Patience and presentation will be the key. CPR that monster soon.

15. Wickedbreed

Wickedbreed New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Now that you say that it miight just be...the shad was everywhere there

16. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Like Joe said welcome to the boc.

17. Wickedbreed

Wickedbreed New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys :) you def make me feel welcome!