huge fish kill

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Bocan, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Bocan

Bocan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went down to the river today to do a bit of fishing, maybe get some smaller cats, but was told by the sherriff that i was not allowed to fish, seems that in Rockford IL area a train wrecked on a bridge spilling all kinds of chemicals that are used to make ethenol (and others im sure) spilled into the Rock River. I am quite a way down stream from there but there were alot of fish washed up on the banks, guess they had boats out trying to clean up some of the fish and were pulling thousands of fish out of the waters. lots of channels, bass, and even some trophy sized flats. I dont know how long this will effect the fish quality as far as eaters, but it was depressing. also not sure how far this will effect downstream as the Rock pours into the Mississippi down around the Quad Cities area. :angry::sad2:

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    hate to see that happen might be ok once all the chemicals wash away

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sorry to hear about the bad news! Im sure that the EPA will be all over that one.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Bummer indeed. Keep your chin up.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sad news for sure. Thanks.

6. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    I wish they had more control on transportation of chemicals
    sad here news

7. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the information. I know it is sad to see this happen for sure, but you can bet you bottem dollar on it that EPA will do something about it for sure.

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hate to hear about that...

9. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    That really is a shame

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    That's a real crapper for sure... Nothing good ever comes from these sort of things.

11. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just heard about it. That is terrible. Some of those fish are decades old. It will take a very long time for that part of the river to get back to normal.

What are the odds that a train running probably hundreds of miles derails over a river less than a couple hundred yards wide? Sucks

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yall should get together and make sure something is done about this. I think for every fish killed by this accident the company responsible should have to stock 2 or more fish. This should be done at a time where the public can view it, to make sure it gets done, no just said it was done. Get together and sign a petition or something of the sort. Hope your waters are back to normal so you can cat some fish soon. SGT Shorey out

14. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Now we are starting to see the fish kill around here. And we are at least 50 miles down stream (as the crow flies). What a shame!:sad2:

15. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz New Member

State:
    Illinios
    At this link you can contact the Govenor of IL and express your feelings about the situation.
    http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Here is some video of the fish kill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT2Tl7CePCo&feature=related

The Railroad company was under notice over the condition of the tracks.

Let your Govenor no what you think about this and demand the river is restored with the money they will get from suing the RR company.And they are going to sue them thats why they are counting the dead fish.They are reporting the count at 200 a minute.

16. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just watched the videos on youtube that is probably one of the biggest fish tragedies ever. Sorry to her that had to hit so close to your hole.

17. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    those videos are devastating.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Has it been confirmed that the railroad accident is the true culprit? Another forum from that area says that there was chemical plants up stream from this area that reported a kill happening before the accident.

19. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz New Member

State:
    Illinios
    They are testing water samples now to determine what caused the Fish kill,but all clues are pointing at the train derailment.It happened on friday night and the fish started showing up on Sunday.What ever did it it had to of been massive.