huge fire

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jan 21, 2006.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well last night my grandma called at 11:31 pm and asked if i had seen the fire. there was a 2 story huge victorian style home on fire just up the alley. the women that lived there is a nurse and lived alone. the 2nd floor for years now was occupied by dozens on pigons. it was a mess. the floors in the 2nd floor were thick with droppings and the gutters were falling off where they went in.

my best guess was we were getting a little rain and with the wholes in the roof and droppings and water this thing went up most likly due to the electric being shorted by the mess. a fella went by at 11:00pm and seen the 2nf floor windows were orange. when i looked out at 11:30 the south end of town looked like a forest fire. it raged till about 2:30am before it was extingushed.

my grandfather is the village maintnance man and he was called to turn on all the pumps to the tower. at 1:30 am he informed the firefighters that the tower was down to about the last bottom bowl. it was almost out of water. all togather there was waynesville, wapella, kenny, armington, and atlanta.
    luckly because the neighbor said he couldn't stand outside his house it was so hot. they had to spray 3 other homes cause they were getting so hot.

sadly 1 atlanta firefighter sge 42 went into cardiac arrest and couldn't be revived. he left a couple kids and wife behind.

the house caught back up this morning and was re extingushed. it is now a dangerous shell with 2 tall chimnieys with no support. now after living with the pigions and holes in the roof for many years the house will be most likly left as an eyesore. but they cannot just let something burn. there job is to put em out.

ill post some pics of the house . i didn't take any of the fire. she woman was at work and no other injuries were reported other than the firefighter, he had had heart surgery prior.

just a bad deal all togather. it could have been most likly avoided had the mess been cleaned sooner. how some can live like that is beyond me. there was a guy here a few years ago after the town told her that something had to be done. he wore a tyvek suit and full resperator and covered the wholes with tarps. that was the last she did and the birds soon returned.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    here are the pics of the remains. this was onw of the few remaining old large homes in the town here. the entire roof is gone and it was just getting into they lower level when the gained control.

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

My condolences to the family of the lost Fire Fighter.

They were luck to save that much of the house.

Ray

4. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    sad all the way around.if i bought a home that old,first thing i'd do is replace all the electrical.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya that upstairs was a diease infested mess. i have since heard there were firemen who seen pigeons a blaze flying out. the firemen is being taken to the cemetary on the truck for his memorial.

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

As he rightfuly should. Volunteer or not, the man deserves the highest respects.

Ray