Huge Bluecat caught by Fastfrank

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Whistler, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I'm posting this at the request of Frank(FastFrank). I'll let him tell the story of when, how and where. What a big Bluecat! Thanks Frank for sharing this fine catch with us.

Attached Files:

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    WOW!! What a great looking fish! Congrats on a landing such a special fish.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Holy Catfish! Nice catch - give some particulars, pppppllllleeeeaaaasseee.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Thats one good looking cat, would like to hear what bait and depth, caught.
    Thanks for sharing Frank.
    Jim

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's what I would call a CATFISH. Congrats on a great catch!

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Holy crap! Now that is a monster. I can't wait to hear the story about that one. That's a fantastic fish there, Frank.

7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Good Lord !!!!!!!!!! Is there a nuclear power plant in the area?? :lol:

8. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Thanks guys, for the compliments. The fish was caught yesterday,(2/7/07 in about 30 ft. waterdepth. I fished with my buddy Steve Ball, (who caught an identical fish in Dec.), out of his 20 ft. Sea Ark. I use the Bass Pro 10ft. heavy spinning rod, coupled with a Shimmano 6500C spinning reel, 100 lb. power-pro braided line, snell-tied to a Daiichi 13/0 black hook. For bait, we used skipjack. Steve insists on using the biggest, bloodiest skips. We ALWAYS fish for the big ones. I'd like to take the time to give many thanks to Steve Ball, (one of the finest BIG BLUE CATMAN on this planet). Most of all, I'd like to thank the BOC, and all of it's members. It's because of you guys, who unselfishly "pump" tons of information, how to's, and personnal experiences into this site, that I was able to be the "lucky one" who landed such a magnificent fish. Of course, the Good Lord had to be smiling on me. He has blessed my life with great friends, and the BOC!!! THe fish was photographed, stomach was "vented", and it swam away to be caught again, I hope this helps some of the members out. Thanks, Frank Nyerges

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How do you vent a fish. I would like to know so I can release them in the best condition possible

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oh and nice fish man.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    With those measurements, I think it'll go over 100#'s easy. What a catch! :smile2:

12. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Frank, great fish and great story. Thanks for sharing it.

13. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    What an awesome fish and thanks for sharing the story! Also awesome that you released.

14. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I use an approx. 30 inch length of 1/2 inch pvc tubing to "vent the fish". Most of the fish I've seen landed, have been brought up slowly. from the deeper water. You will usually see bubbles coming up from the fish. I have found that if the fish stays on the boat for a time, that problems can arise. This is only my opinion. Twice, when I have caught BIG fish, I had them out of the water for a longer time than I would like. We take care of them, as best as we can. When I released my two biggest fish, (the one in the photo is one of them), I found that they could not swim down, but struggle on the surface. Steve drove his boat around, and I netted him again, and slowly inserted the pvc pipe (which is sanded on the edges as not to cut the fish) down his throat, into the stomach area (VERY CAREFULLY) Both times the fish re-gurgitated, and air could be heard escaping from it's swim bladder. The fish just swam away. We waited to make sure it did not re-surface. Hope this helps. fastfrank

15. Blue Hawg

Blue Hawg New Member

State:
    Decatur, Alabama
    Hey guy. Thanks for the kind words. Will you buy me a new trolling motor now????

"When everyone is laughing at how big your bait is....it's about the right size."

-Steve

16. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Amen....Brother!!! fastfrank

17. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    nice fish man glad to hear its alive to be caught another day!

18. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    What a fantastic fish, congraulations..............

19. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Frank, Congratulations on an awesome catch. I can't imagine what it would be like to get that first sight of a fish like that coming up to the boat. That had to be an exciting experience.

20. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    That is awesome congrats on a monster.