Huge blue catfish in small pond.

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Fry Guy, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    So me and my buddy nick (pinto) went fishing in some of the ponds at my place the other day for bass because we hadn't fished all of them yet (and did pretty good about 35 total) and we get to one pond that's probably about 1 1/2 acres with ALLOT of moss and weeds everywhere. We caught a couple of bass out of it then nick says holy #@!$ what is that! A big ol cat (i'm guessing a blue) came crusing out of the weeds. This thing had to be over 15 maybe even 20lbs. It was kind of hard to tell at a distance but it was definantly big. I want to try catfishing that pond but there are so many weeds in there it will almost be impossible. Any ideas on how I could try for this big guy?

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    cast out without any wieght on and just let it settle where it wants, then sit back and wait. Stink bait would be good here, use to use no wieght and catch a bunch when it got mossy. Did I say, I HATE MOSS.

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    How about live bait? Or would my bait bury itself in the weeds.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    your bait will bury itself in the weeds unless your using worms... something tells me it may not be a blue catfish... could very well be but it sounds more like a large channel or a carp... although i'd like to see you catch it and prove me wrong...

Try liver too cause in that small a pond they will go for it with no problem...

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I agree with photocat. Use liver. But everyonce in awhile when I fish a pond, corn, hotdogs, or worms would outfish everything else. So I wouldn't be too picky on the bait. And it probably wouldn't hurt to chum 'em up a little either. But if you have too many little cats bitin' your line, I'd use cut bluegill from the pond. That usually gets the fidlers to leave my line alone. Good luck!

-Red

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well if the pond has bluegills I would try taking a bobber and floating a bluegill around the weeds. Kill him and let the guts hang out some this will draw him out. I fish this setup alot for cats here on the river when the weeds get bad. O and you will catch some nice bass as well fishing this setup.

7. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I know it wasn't a carp but you're probably right about it being a channel. I was close enough to see that it was a cat but that is one good sized channel. I guess it's not that unbelievable being as I caught my best channel (15lbs) out of my other 1/4 acre pond on chicken liver.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you might scare the fish for a couple of days but tie a rope to a metal rake and clear you an alley are two to fish in so you don't have to worry about getting the fish in to the bank. Just an idea I used to have to do this every year sometimes twice in order to fish my grandmas ponds.