Huge Alligator Gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by martinman, Jul 6, 2006.

1. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    A friend sent me some pictures via email today. I do not know if anyone else has seen them, but I was extremely impressed. I figured I would share them...I do not know the accuracy of the weight and length, but I do not believe the pics have been doctored in any way.

Ryan

gar1.jpg

gar2.jpg

gar3.jpg

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I dont doubt those pictures are genuine. There are Alligaor Gars caught that are that big. HUGE fish, and I wouldnt mind catching one myself someday :big_smile: Great pictures though. All the other ones I have seen are poor quality, but those are great.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Last year, bow hunters took a 240 lb alligator gar on Sam Rayburn in Texas. These babies get upwards of 300 lbs. I've nothing against bow hunting or fishing for them, but the big ones are very rare and limits on how many can be taken need to be set by states with populations of gator gar. This weekend, a friend and I are going to fish for big gar, both alligator and longnose on the Brazos in Central Texas. Last week, he got a 42 lb longnose and a 60 lb gator gar, both were released.

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I agree on better state protection for these behemoths. Myself and TA2D are in the early stages of planning a trip to Texas next year for some Alligator Gar action.

SudDawg

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Holy moly, i figured that would be a world record. CRAZY.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I usually use fish that size for bait. LMAO I have seen those pics before on here but that is definatly one big fish. Thanks for sharing.

7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    If you go to www.aimlowproductions.com you can see the video of this fish being caught. It was shot on Lake Sam Rayburn here in Texas it weighed 244 pounds

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    OMG! That is a MONSTER!! I have a spotted gar in my home aquarium...Hope it don't get that huge, Its only 240 gallons!
    Can you imagine the rod it took to get t in? prolly used titanium leader or sumpthin'! LOL ~~ WOWEE!!

9. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    No rod,it was shot with a bow!

10. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    nice pictures. but you guys have to know one thing. those gars are ancient fish so try to release em more often!

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was wondering how those monsters get caught! I can only imagine what it would be like...

12. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    The link to aimlowproductions is no longer any good. Im sorry about that.

Tx.

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

YES PLEASE RELEASE THEM! They're nowhere near as abundant in North America as they use to be.

SudDawg

14. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Thats because we dam up all the rivers,these fish need moving water to breed and lay there eggs.

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    They are on another site that I won't post,they bought it and ruined it,and now are being bought out themselves

16. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    wow those are sweet pics. what do you think that bad boy weighs?

17. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    244 Lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I wonder how long it took to pull into the boat? Monster fish I would love to hook it and see where it drug my boat. lol

19. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    great pic's. i only wish i had pic's of the two gar we saw the same evening. the biggest one came up right beside the boat we was in. that fish was as long as the boat. 15' and looked to be fatter than a 5 gallon bucket. the fish is still swimming unless he died of old age. i personally dont like gar but anything that has growed to be that big deserves to keep swimming. robbie

20. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Other than by bow, how would you fish for such a thing? I used to fish for big gar on the Texas Gulf Coast and we'd use a half mullet on a big ole treble. Let 'em free-spool around till it swallowed the bait and then brought 'em in. If I was going to release it I think a gut wound would be bad. I've heard about snagging them with nylon frays, but I don't see it working with the big gators. The teeth are too far apart.