Hudson River catfish

Discussion in 'NEW YORK RIVER TALK' started by Willie Ketchum, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Willie Ketchum

Willie Ketchum New Member

State:
    New York
    A few weeks ago I was at the Gander Mountain store in Kingston to give a seminar on Striper fishing in the Hudson, when I learned something that should be very interesting to all NY catfishermen. Prior to giving my talk, they had a guy there from the DEC giving a presentaion on, among other things, the results of recent netting/electroshock surveys on the Hudson. The statistic that grabbed my attention was the one that showed the explosion of the population of Channel Cats in the survey area! Those of us who have fished this area for many years saw the introduction (illegally, according to DEC) of Channel cats in the Rondout and Wallkill rivers about 10-15 years ago and they have steadily increased in size and numbers ever since. . These fish enevitably found their way into the Hudson, and began to displace the indiginous species, the White Catfish. While possibly frowned upon by some as an "exotic" invasion, the appearence of Channels has been good news to cat anglers, as White cats rarely get over about 5lbs, and when hooked, fight just slightly better than a clump of weeds! The DEC's survey results shows a steady increase of Channels over the past several years, with the most recent survey showing a dramitic spike in the Channel Catfish population to the point that they now outnumber the Whites!
    I have caught a few Channels over 10lbs the last couple years, and have seen a handful in the 15lb range, although very few local anglers have been targeting them. With the amount of forage available, and the obvious suitability of this habitat for Channels , I feel this developing fishery is worthy of the attention of all NY catfish fanatics.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    An interesting first post Mark. Welcome to the family.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Mark, its great to see another New yorker joining up!!! Hope to see you on here often. Do you do much catfishing?, if so where do you fish?

4. Willie Ketchum

Willie Ketchum New Member

State:
    New York
    Thanks for the welcome guys! Splitshot, While i love to fish for all kinds of stuff, I do a good bit of catfishing through the summer..I live close enough to the Wallkill and Rondout that I can hit either in the afternoons after work. The last few years the Channels have been coming on strong in the Wallkill.. in addition to picking up a few nice specimans on most evening bass/catfish missions last year, I caught a ton of young'uns while drifting worms for walleyes.. so they really seem to be taking off.. I also catch quite a few cats while fishing with cut bait for Stripers out on the Hudson...In addition to the local places, I also try to take at least one trip a year down to the Santee Cooper lakes in South Carolina for Blues and Flatheads..

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Glad to have you aboard and thanks for the info. Be talkin' to you soon.

6. Shaun Bond

Shaun Bond New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :confused2:I didnt even know there was catfish in New York.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Yup Shaun, we have channel cats up here, but no Blues or flatties. I fish mainly in the South bay of lake Champlain which is in the adirondack mountains.

8. Handliner

Handliner New Member

State:
    New York
    Thanks for the info