Huckleberries

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ldw45, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone grow Huckleberries? Just got some seed and plan to grow them this year. I love a pie made from them. A unique taste that is quiet different.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I was outside a little while ago an noticed my gooseberries grew babies galore over the winter. I know your askin about huckleberries but gooseberries aint too far from them.

3. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never grown gooseberries, but i love them. Do you happen to know a place where i could get some starts or seeds? I can't find any. thx

4. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    awww man!! i love those huckleberries :big_smile: granny use to make jam outta them too....... it was a job picking enough for the task at hand ,...and have mercy if i ever slipped up and ate the first berry while picking them,id never get the bucket full then:roll_eyes: never tried to grow em though ,,..always picked em wild in the mountains ...

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Not sure where I got these, Stark Bro's maybe. I know there are many places online to order them from. They are fairly cheep compared to lots of plants.

6. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    If your Huckleberries are blueberries they need very acid soil. About 5.5 ph. Be sure you get your soil tested before you plant them.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive never growed any but there good eating

8. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Definitely not blueberries, are an annual plant. Grow pretty much like other veggies in the garden.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If you buy gooseberry plants buy the thornless ones. Makes picking a lot easier. I have one plant that i trim back every few years and I can get atleast 5 gal. a year. Thats a lot if stemen. LOL If you want more plants you can just bury the end of a limb stiil attached to the original plant and it will grow.
    Any good ideas on stemen them? It's a pain in the b***!

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    www.gurneys.com

They have gooseberrys available among others. Sorry no huckleberrys.