Hub Conversion

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by droptine77, Apr 30, 2007.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Just wondered if any of you had done an automatic to manuel hub conversion. Was it worth it and did it make a differance in your fuel millage?

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    It should not make any difference on fuel consumption.
    The main problem with auto's is that they just break and stop working.
    I would recommend installing Warn Premiums. They cost just a few dollars more but are much more durable.

If you need info on how to remove the old auto hub on a Ford send me a PM. I can send you a link with a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

Dave

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I used to own an 88 chevy silverado that had automatic hubs on it. One day as I was driving it mad a loud noise and it felt like the 4wd just caught on for a second. I went to the the 4x4 store and the guy told me that those automatic hubs tend to wear out and they will try and engage themselves or something. I had to get new hubs and he told me that if I went with a manual one, they hardly ever wear out and I probably wouldn't run into this problem ever again. I switched my automatic ones out for manual warn hubs and they worked great. I have since gotten rid of that old truck, but the manuals were definately the way to go on it.

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Autos are bad to freeze up when cold and wont engage/disengage when you need them too. As stated, they have no effect on gas mileage. Warn premiums get my vote also. You don't say what vehicle you have but usually if you have hubs with 5 screws in the cap, it's a direct replacement; if you have 3 screws you'll need a conversion kit - about 30 bucks extra. Note that's for Fords, others may vary. If you need help with a Ford auto to manual conversion, let me know, I just did it this past winter.

5. catfishernick33

catfishernick33 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you have a jeep it could make a difference in gas mileage. In the newer wranglers with automatic locking hubs the front axle is always locked. In order to convert to manual locking hubs you have to buy a conversion kit that frees the front axle which runs a little over $1000. With the front axle being free you get better gas mileage. But thats only if you have a jeep.

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks guys. I have 94 full size Bronco. I just had the fuel pressure regulater and an o2 sensor replaced and I went from 10 mpg to 17.5mpg. Big differance! I am trying to get all I can out of her and its 351. Again thanks.

7. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Greg, I have a 94 f150 with a 351 and this winter snapped my auto hub while I was in 4 wheel drive. I was not even getting on it, just trying to get out of my snowed in driveway. I went with warn premiums on mine. I have them on two other ford pick-ups that I own and love them. Don't skimp on your lockouts, think of when you normally engage them......If your like me I normally have to lock them in after I've gotten into trouble. Just get on Warns site and you can get the parts number and closest dealer.

8. catfishernick33

catfishernick33 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah i have a 94 full size bronco too and i'm only getting around 9 miles to the gallon. How much did it cost ya to change that o2 sensor and fuel regulator?

9. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Total it was about $330. $50 of it was to put it on the computer. I tell you it was more than worth it. My fuel pressure regulator was running 80 psi and it is only suppose to be 30. All that extra fuel was going out the exhaust which was what burnt up the o2 sensor where the manifolds meet. If your check engine light is on or is coming on and off that is more than likely your problem. Good luck.

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Glad my 89 Bronco is the 302. I get around 11-14 mpg in town.