HP and boat size vs. relative river current?

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by AllenM, May 28, 2006.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Ok, I got an aluminum V hull with a 9.9 HP 2 stroke on it. I've been trying to figure out if it's safe to take it out on the northern Sacramento River.

1: How do you tell how fast the current actually is in the water you're thinking about puting your boat on?

2: Is there a standard safety ratio between HP and the speed of the water you're going out on or something? I mean, how do you know what will do the job and what won't cut it??

3: anyone else in this area fish the N. Sac river south of Red Bluff? If so, what is the minimum size boat and motor you would suggest?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Allan, I not familiar with your area at all but you could just go down to the boat ramp some morning and look to see what all the other folks are using. You could ask a few people if they thought your rig would work. You didn't say what size boat you had but a 9.9 hp motor can push a boat up a pretty good current (if your boat is big enough to be safe). It might not be very fast but you can always get up a few minutes earlier to get to your hole on time. The biggest concern though is safety. Hope this helps.

ST

:0a22:

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I was raised with a 2 hp.pushing a huge,heavy boat on a lake.I have always carried a 2 hp."get me back" and it works against the tide and the sluggish currents in our southern rivers,with wide 16 ft.aluminum V and flat hulls.I don;t know about fast water and your boat,as hull shape means a lot.Can you put in up stream,and take out down stream?If you can,then leave a vehicle at the downstream landing.Have a driver ride with with you to the upstream landing.Put your boat in and then have the driver take your boating vehicle to the downstream landing.They leave your boating vehicle,and drive off in the one you left.You need very little to no hp.to fish downstream.Many paddle or float fish this way.This is a good way to check out your rig,and many find it a good way for them to fish.You do need to have enough hp.for control of your boat in the conditions you will fish.peewee-williams

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Wouldn't go out there in the spring melt. From what I remember of the Sacremento, it had a moderate current. You should be okay. First trip of two, tie everything in the boat down that you can and wear your life jacket. Once you get your sea, er...river, legs you'll know more about what you can do.

5. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Thanks guys. I really appriciate all the ideas, suggestions, and advice. Keep it coming.

6. Chance

Chance New Member

State:
    United states
    Allen I run a 14 foot jon boat with a 8hp outboard .Just remember getting there is usally no problem ,BUT watch the weather strong winds white caps come up fast thats when I usally have trouble .She runs fine even with two people but when the weather changes get out of there ,one trip a front came at us well between us and the landing strong winds bad rain couldnt make alot of head way in wind with that little motor .Wind kept pushing on my starboard side so I just banked and waited it out under a tarp .Carry a small tarp and rain clothes it will make you more comfortable and you wont have to out run a storm like i did good luck

7. AllenM

AllenM Guest

thanks. that's good info. I think if I put out on the main boy I'll do it at Finch river Access at hwy32 and try to run upriver from there so that when it's time to pull out I'll be able to just drift fish back to the ramp. that way, if anything unexpected happens like that I'll be able to roll DOWNriver to get out, lol!