Hows your lakes and water levels

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ncfowler, Oct 3, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I was just wondering how everones area lakes levels are and if the ramps are open. I know if we don't get some real rain soon most lakes will be closed around me. I was told that my local lake will close boating once it hits the -5' level as of last saturday it was 41/2' down so most likely this weekend is going to be a bust. The local tackle shop said that High rock is down 5' and badin is -4' tucker town and tillery is still good to launch on and holding ther own. If this keeps up and we don't get rain soon my duck season will be poor at best, maybe i will have to work on going deer hunting insted.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well lake Lanier here in GA is at its lowest level since the lake opened to the public and only a small fraction of ramps are open and even fewer that are safe to launch anything more than a Johnboat with out fear

3. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Around here I have heard the Waccamaw is a creek now. High Rock -6.1, Tuckertown - 0.3, Badin -6.1

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
  5. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I'm worried that with a dry winter as well what will happen to the spawn in the spring without good shallow habitat for most species... Especially in the rivers where most of the structure is along the shorelines and now high and dry!

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Unless we get a BUNCH of rain it looks as though the fall catfish season may be a bust. I was thinking of getting out the Scanoe and the 5HP Suzuki to access some of the lower water level lakes but I may just focus on deer hunting instead. We got several bucks working our our property.:wink:

7. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    We have a camper at Lake James...our closest lake...it's down around 7'. Most ramps have closed on the Catawba end, not sure about the Linville end but "the" Linville ramp itself is closed.
    The area right in front of Burnette's looks like a hay field as far as you can see.
    It was quite sad to see thousands of egg sacks drying up far from the water...even back in late August. Looked like jellyfish all around the shoreline.

Snal~

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Bad and getting worse here on Wylie. In the mid summer there was grass growing at the shore which once was covered by water. The water is much lower now and that grass is no longer the bright green it was and it is several feet back from the water now. There is a growing shoreline on Wylie. I guess on the bright side one could mark a lot of structure near shore that one never knew existed before.

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks to Lake James, LKN has remained the same level for over two weeks now! Major ramps are still open (Little Creek, McCrary's Creek, Beatty Ford, Hagers Creek, Pinancle Landing, Mid-Way, Stumpy Creek, and a few others). But if it drops a few more inches, Little Creek access will be closed.

10. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    High Rock is down 6.87, Badin7.90,Tuckertown1.8,and Falls and Tillery down about a foot.I've been able to put in at any Alcoa or WRC ramps in my fiberglass center console, but when you get out on the waters you have to keep a sharp eye out. I would not recommend going out at night to any of these lakes unless you really know your way around and have a good spotlight and fishing partner.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Lake Mead here in Nevada is probably about 130 feet low.

12. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Last time I checked Joran Lake it was at 210.49' msl. Normal pool is 216'. So down about 5.5'. The good news is, a couple of the ramps at Farrington, and the one a Robeson Creek both extend to 202'. So we're not at the end of the ramps yet, but I'll bet that folks are finding trees they didn't know about out there:eek:oooh:.

Jon

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sutton isn't seeing any bad effects from the lack of rain, but they pump water in from the river to keep the level up. It's a power plant lake and it's got to stay full. All the retention ponds are drying up however. I actually saw some guys the other day mowing what used to be a shallow~2-3ft retention pond. It's pretty bad as far as the rivers are concerned as well. The NE Cape Fear is really low, we had a bass tourney there today and at dead low it was lower than I've ever seen it. There wasn't anything left to fish at low tide. Lets all hope that we get some rain soon.

14. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Arkansas is above the norm. this year.