How's your Equipment?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 29, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One of the biggest mistakes alot of fishermen make is not inspecting their equipment enough, and taking care of proper maintenance on their tackle. With the upcoming warm water fishing coming, when most do a majority of their seasonal fishing for cats. Now is a great time to bring your rods and reels inside and do some fairly simple maintenace on them. Throughout the course of the year, reels attract a certain amount of dirt inside them to the grease in the bearings. Sand particulary is really bad about finding its way inside to these crucial parts. If not taken care of properly, including a good cleaning every now and then, you are setting yourself up for part failure sooner or later. I would suggest if you don't know much about how these reels are assembled to simply just take them to your local repair shop for an annual cleaning..Fairly cheap preventive mainetance for the price of the reel. I know a guy that charges right around five dollars per reel, also inspecting the gears and other things such as the line guide to make sure they are in proper working order! I hate the thought of loosing a good fish due to ignorance or lazyness on my part. Line is also a very crucial thing to inspect, probably the most crucial of them all! I change my line a few times a year so I always feel confident of what im running. However, I understand that this can become expensive! Some ideas are try keeping you line out of long exposure of sunlight! When not fishing, keep your outfits in a dry place out of the elements, and extreme heat, especially monofilaments. I like to pull a few yrds. of line off, and retie before every trip. I inspect the line for abrasions and extreme stretch, that may have occured on previous trips. If using braids, or superlines, stretch probably isn't gonna be an issue, but you need to again pull a few yrds. off of the old, making sure there isn't any abrasion to the line, and retie again insuring good quality knots before the trip out. I also check my rods. Make sure all line guides are free of knicks and chips. If fishing a two piece outfit, seperate the two and check where they slide together for weak spots or cracks. I try to wipe the rods down often removing any impuritys that may get built up on them. Next, check your tackle. Often we get caught up in many trips out, and before we realize it, we are out on the water in a situation where we don't have the tackle we need. Make sure you have a supply of hooks, sinkers, swivels, floats, or whatever you usually need to go. Remember alot about catching fish is being at the right place at the right time. But, if your taclke is lacking the care it needs, your trip can go from good to bad just as easily. Just a few basic reminders here. Hopefully everyone will have a good season..goodluck...rollo

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a great post Rollo. Thanks for the heads up. Thats some valuable info everyone needs to read.:wink::big_smile:

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Mine was all done by the 2nd week of December now its just the waiting game for it to warm up a little LOL

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Warm up??? Come on Gary, the cold won't kill you. I got out yesterday even though it was 50* and it felt great. Check out the thread on Local KY Talk. I think you're rubbing off on me....Got the Big Skunk!:smile2:

5. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been on this site so much I haven't had the time to work on tackle, Guess I'll start today. Looking to get a bigger motor for boat. My 9.9 is just 2 slow.... SB
    This spell check DH posted, it works great. I didn;t rea;ize how much I needed it.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Jason, who do you know that will do it for $5.00 per? I have about 6 that could use it and if I try it I won't have ANY that work....

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    BTW, to add to what Jason has said about line, I use braid for the most part and am going to add a bead this year ABOVE my swivel. I noticed that 3-8 oz no rolls play havoc on my knot at the swivel.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Awful far to drive and not worth the gas $$$ but a guy that owns a tackle/bait store close to me used to do it for $5-$6 each. Only if you lived closer...:confused2::smile2:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Those are some good pointers ...thanks for the heads up. All my 18 rods& reels have new line and have been cleaned. Now my biggest concern is which 3 am I taking tonight?:wink:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know a guy in Newark, that will clean them really cheap, and he does excellent repair work on busted eyes etc. i will look for the number for you, and the address. i have it wrote down...rollo

11. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Jason,you thinking about the farquhar&steinbaugh at 116 union st in newark 344-6200

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    reps. to a brother!! he has always treated me great!!! and he can fix most Abus!!! He has replaced many eyes for me, and takes pride in his work!!! thanks tony!!! I looked all afternoon, I know where he is located. Couldn't find the number etc.!! rollo

13. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    he can usually get any parts you might need for reels also,and will spool reels real cheap,Bobs Outdoors is just up the street across from the duke station and I have talked him into handling quite a bit of catfishermans supplies and he is reasonable on most stuff

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought a St. Croix off of Bob, he runs a great business, and carrys a variety of things, he also is always trying to make the best deal as well!!! Nice to see some small business owners left that try not to get rich, but compete with these bigger companys!! I will always give my business to them, when possible for that reason!! rollo

15. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeap bob is cool . he has treated me very well.
    And likes to bull crap.Good people are hard to find .
    Hes did work for me to .

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there are some good small business owners left, that appreciate locals and will do good work for you at a reasonable price!!! rollo

17. catfishingham

catfishingham New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post Rollo, In addition I always make up my snelled hooks and leaders at home, I think you can do a better job than doing it on the water. Also I like to pre rig a length of line with a slip float, that way I can just snap it on and fish a float.

18. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great post rollo I know i need to get mine cleaned and ready for flathead season I've been having some problem with one of my old reel th past few weeks.

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jason, I usually take apart and clean my reels everytime i re-spool them. But since I switched my tournament reels from ande to 65 lb. power pro the power pro is lasting longer. I noticed one of my 6500 reels the last trip out screaming earl me earl me:smile2:. Big Sam was even making a couple of remarks about that 6500:smile2:. So i'll have to start doing some cleaning and oiling more often. Just a heads up for braid line users:wink:.

20. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    man it was like 71 degrees yesterday so I was gonna get all my stuff out and maybe throw my cast net a few times but as soon as I walked outside it started raining..............and then snowing within an hour or two:confused2:. lol damnit.

I hate when I start to get spring fever waaaaaaaaaaaay to early.