Hows the Juniata River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bass&cats, Apr 26, 2008.

1. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I never realy fished rivers for catfish, but how well do you guys think I'd do If I went down to the Juniata for them? I herd my friends Uncle caught a realy big Flathead there. He doesnt know much about catfishing though. Is there flatheads in there?

2. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    There is nice channels musky and smallmouth in the Juniata.The flathead are above york haven dam just not in fishable #'s yet.Give it a few years.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I grew up fishing the Juniata...from Raystown Lake spillway to Lewistown. There are some big Channel Cats in the river but you have to put your time in to catch them. One of the most consistant places to catch them is near the Blind Camp above Newton Hamilton. There is the remains of an old dam there. Fish either end where the water cuts around the dam. Be prepared to loose lots of sinkers as the rocks eat them up. Good luck.

4. bernardo

bernardo New Member Supporting Member

State:
    PA
    I've fished a good bit upstream from Lake Raystown on the Juniata. The biggest channel I've caught was only 18.5", but a friend recently caught a 26" 10#. Last year the biggest from our gang was 28". You do have to put in your time - but if you find a deep pool and the right conditions, you can do well. In many cases the bullheads will keep you too busy to get the channel cats. Find a deep hole, perhaps on a bend in the river, and toss in some chicken liver at night - you just might be busy for a while.

Bomberman: I'm on Google Maps trying to pinpoint that old dam you wrote about. What road do you access it from? It is upstream (south) of Newton Hamilton?

5. joeyfri13

joeyfri13 Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I too have fished the Juniata from Raystown down past lewistown a good place to try is above the dam near Petersburgh its wide and deep there a pretty good population of channels there. I have never heard of anybody catching flatheads anywhere near that stretch of the Juniata and i dont know if they will ever reach there because of dams and hos shallow the river gets in stretches between harrisburgh where it flows into the Susquehanna and up past mount union huntingdon. that hole by Newton is a snag factory hope your fishing from a boat because from shore there you spend more time retying terminal tackle than catching fish :) but above the dam near peterburgh not that many snags and during the day you can catch anything from trout to perch and smallies if you want to try that area let me know it's hard to get access to that area sometimes.

6. bernardo

State:
    PA
    Disregard my questions - Bing's photography in that area appears to be when the water is lower - easier to find the dam.

7. bernardo

State:
    PA
    A fishing buddy and myself hit the Raystown branch of the Juniata river this morning for catfish - a few miles upstream from the lake. We caught five eatin' size channel cats between the two of us in about two hours of fishing. Biggest was 23", followed by two 21" inch fish.

Attached Files:

Pennsylvaniacatchaser likes this.
  8. mdeby

mdeby New Member

State:
    MD
    You all may need some bigger bait/hooks!:Happy:

9. mdeby

mdeby New Member

State:
    MD
    Great Job! Makes me want go down to the river soon!:Happy:

10. bernardo

State:
    PA
    A friend and I spent last night on the Raystown branch. We fished until 3 AM, got about 2 hours of shut-eye, and then tried again at 5 o'clock. The channel catfish refused to show their presence. We tried crawlers, chicken livers, and cut gills, but all we could pull in were bullheads. The most excitement I had all night was when I had two hooks tied to my line. The rod started bending and I thought I had hooked a hard-fighting channel, but it turned out that I had two bullheads hooked at the same time. The water was a bit lower than during our last trip - I don't know if that was a factor in our lack of success or not.

11. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Eldon, I'm not asking you to give away any secret spots, but where abouts are you fishing above raystown?

12. bernardo

State:
    PA
    We have several areas we fish for cats, but the most recent success has been in the Hopewell area, which is several miles upstream from the lake. We've also had success near Breezewood, which is further upstream.

The challenge with this portion of river is to find access to the river where there's a deep hole. This time of the year much of the river is shallow, so if you can find a spot 6' or 8' feet deep, there will almost always be some channels holed up there. In many cases, you'll have to put in a unpowered boat somewhere and float to your destination, or do some wading to get there.

13. bernardo

State:
    PA
    Two friends and I fished the Raystown branch of the Juniata Tuesday evening (8/17) from about 5 to 11. We were fishing in the Riddlesburg area. The channel catfish were nowhere to be found. Instead, we were getting small bullheads on almost every cast. We must have pulled in 25 of them, only 4 of which were worth bringing home to eat. I think I'm going to give this river a break for a while.

14. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA

Sorry it's been so long to get an answer back to you...I don't check this forum very often. But I didn't think you would mind because:

Old Dam on Juniata River.jpg

I can't get much clearer than that. I've just given anyone who reads this a pretty good honey hole so please, catch and release.

Tight lines.

15. bernardo

State:
    PA
    Thanks Chuck. I did manage to find it last fall. I went up there one afternoon after work briefly just to scout it out, but I didn't return to fish it. The water was pretty low by then and it didn't look to promising. About stepped on two snakes at the edge of the water. Hopefully I'll be able to give a try this spring. Thanks again for the tip!

16. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Yes, the snakes do love that place too! Glad you found it...one of my favorite spots on the Juniata. You must live fairly close by then. I grew up in Shirleysburg...between Mt. Union and Orbisonia.

17. bernardo

State:
    PA
    I live just north of McConnellsburg. It was about a 50 minute drive up there. That's about the distance I drive to fish regardless of which direction I go. It is either 50 minutes down to the Potomac, 50 up to the main branch of the Juniata, or about 40 over to the Raystown branch. If gas prices keep going up, fishing's going to be expensive this year. :)

18. satownsend

satownsend New Member

State:
    Portage PA
    That is my dad's favorite fishing spot. Pretty sure he's fished it since he was a little kid. I haven't fished it too many times, but I definitely like it. It's also the last spot I fished with a good friend before he was killed in a car accident three days later. So it brings back some memories.

19. bernardo

State:
    PA
    Here's a video of my buddy pulling in a channel cat from the Raystown branch last year. Near Breezewood.

[video=youtube;NgTd5qvuu_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgTd5qvuu_I[/video]

20. bernardo

State:
    PA
    I went out on the Raystown branch for a few hours last Friday morning. I caught a channel catfish, two bullheads, two smallies, and a mess of bluegill and rock bass. I was fishing along route 26 a few miles above the lake. Here's a video with a few of my catches. The channel catch is at the end:

[youtubevid]VQ8BrDc1cl4[/youtubevid]