How's The Flood Gonna Effect The Kentucky River Catfishing?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Raven Blayde, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm on vacation the rest of the week and had planned on hitting the river quite a bit- Until we got hit with all the rain!!! Some of the people I've talked to seem to think the floods will be a good thing for the catfishing. I'm unsure. Any thoughts?

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Don't know what river..... I can say this about rivers the size of the KY river Find the eddy's beneath dams or around creek mouths . Fish pile up in theese kind of area's . Be safe and leave the boat at home .

3. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I agree with lance those eddies can be great spots to fish during high water.

4. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Take advantage of the high water and fish the creek mouths. I did that tonight and had a great night.

5. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Finally, I have some good news on the catfishing above the Lockport ramp!!! Went yesterday morning and caught 3 nice cats (2 channel and 1 blue). The smallest one was around 17' and the 2 larger ones were in the 25-30' range (the blue cat was the largest of all). Although these aren't "Monster Fish" like I've been searching for, they are the biggest and the most I've caught in one trip so far this year. Not sure if the river being flooded was the reason I caught them or if its because the spawn is over. Either way, yesterday was my best day of catfishing so far this year. The river is still flooded pretty bad and I got my truck stuck in the mud that has piled up on the ramp from where the water level was much higher and has since dropped. Anyway, just wanted to share saturday mornings trip.

6. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    I only went for about 4 hours last night and fished from the bank and caught 2 and had a few runs and alot of bites all in all they bit better last night after the flood than they have in awhile i think the current and new food has got them active again hope to get the boat on the water this coming weekend:big_smile:

7. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    Last week during the flooding i fished the ohio a bunch and the fishing was awesome! caught this one blue that weighed in at 49lbs 6oz. and then abunch of smaller blues and flatheads. I live across from louisville in new albany and its mostly slate rock on the bank where i fish-so they cruise the bank when it floods and its awesome

8. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man, I wouldn't know what to do with a 17' to 30' fish. :wink:

What I've heard is that during high water, catfish will often come out of the channels and holes into shallower waters to feed around newly submerged areas.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, Ky

Thats a great fish, what were you using for bait?

10. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    I was actually fishin fer flatheads using live bluegill. 1st time i've ever got a blue with a live gill. Though i did catch a big channel with a small live gill at a farm pond a couple weeks ago.

11. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I Fished a feeder creek friday night.I got a late start and had another guy with me.He said he would catch some gils while I would get the boat and gear ready.When he came to the house to go he brought a 5 gall bucket with 17 med size gills and no areator..well you guessed it they were all dead.We went ahead and put them on ice and headed out.
    We fished all night using cut bait and heads in around 2-5 ft of water.
    Fishing was tough with only one run which I caught (3lb flat)we stayed at it all night and headed out the next morning..oh well. We will get em next time:wink:

12. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Everything I've caught so far this year (with the exception of a few small channels on liver) has been caught on live Bluegill. I've been setting out at least one rod with cut baits each time I go (bluegill, shad and creek chubs), but so far not one single bite on any of them. Also tried Magic Bait a few times as well with no luck. I'm taking it that they prefer live bait over anything right now.

13. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I took the boat and went with a couple of friends to hawesville this evening we had some skips and live gills for bait.
    We started out drift fishing and on the first drift I had a good hit and landed a twenty pound blue.
    We continued to drift and the guys I was with had a couple missed fish.We decided to try anchoring down upstream from a submerged tree and I managed to land a 5 lb flat there.
    The fishing could have been better, but we had alot of fun anyway it was a good day just to be out on the river.:big_smile:

14. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey beespringer- Anytime I could catch a 20lb blue, it is definantly a good trip!!! Great job man!!! :big_smile:

15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Thanks it was alot of fun. I just wish the guys with me could of caught a few also.