hows the fishing?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fearless58, Aug 22, 2009.

1. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    or maybe i should ask hows the catching? iwas wanting to ride up to santee and fish a couple of days . i usally stay at canal lakes or harrys. has anyone been fishing lately that can give me some insite to what the catfish are doing? any info would be appriciated thanks

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Fishing is slow on both lakes in my opinion. It should be getting better when the weather cools down.

3. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    thanks i was afraid thats what i was going to here

4. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    The gar fishing/catching was exceptional this weekend around stumphole,cutbait fishing on the bottom with shad. The catfish either wasnt there or wasnt hungry..17,,,yes seventeen gar and just ONE catfish:embarassed:.MY uncle fished friday night and into saturday morning.I just got off the phone with him.I told him that must be a record 17 gar in one trip.

5. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hey have ever eat a gar?? That guy that writes the articles( I think it's Luke Clayton or something like that) wrote one about gar fishing and how good they were to eat. I don't know, I never tried one but I would.

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    They are chewy and very difficult to clean. They taste alright when they come out of the fryer. Not as good once they cool. I'm curious about the bowfin, haven't gotten the nerve to eat one of those yet.

7. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Matt,

I haven't eaten one for quite a few years. Way back when, my family was camping and my father caught one. He dressed it and mom fried it, while we were setting up the rest of the camp.

As I remember it, all it took was one bite each and the rest of the fish, the oil, and maybe even the pan was buried. That was over 50 years ago, so I can't tell you what it taste like. Only that it must have been REALLY bad, because we ate most things that we caught.

My suggestion would be: go ahead and try it, you don't have much to lose. LOL