How's the Catfishing in CA

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by tnkatman, Oct 5, 2008.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    My family and I are thinking about moving to Torrence, CA next year from TN & I was wondering if there's any good catfishing there ? I was also wondering if you have all 3 species of catfish there.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    There are a few places for fishing around the LA area. All of the park lakes receive Catfish plants during the warmer weather and trout when it cools off.
    Aside from that, from Torrence it is a bit of a drive o get to any of the reservoirs around our area.
    All of the lakes have channel cats.
    The best blue cat fisheries are the San Diego area lakes. Open only a few days out of the week and absolutely no body contact with the water on most of them.
    A couple of the Pay lakes plant flatheads from time to time but do not allow fishing with live bait other than worms or crawdads.
    The best flat head water is the Colorado River from Lake Havasu to the Mexican Border, about 250 miles to the east of Torrence.
    There are no flatheads any where else in Ca.
    There are pay to play lakes like Santa Ana River Lake, Irvine Lake, Corona Lake and Hesperia Lake. In them you can catch channels and blues if you want to pay their fee.
    Don't be surprised that even the lakes that are operated by the state or county require you to pay for access. That's just a fact of life in So. Ca.
    We even have to pay to use our National Forests.
    Compared to many states Ca. is very restrictive in what they allow in terms of tackle and bait.
    I suggest you read the freshwater fishing regulations before your first purchase of a fishing license.
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/08-09-inland-fish-regs.pdf
    The price of a license will also cause a bit of a shock and then there are the additional stamps that are needed for things like a second rod and fishing the Delta or the Colorado river.
    I'm not trying to discourage you from moving to our state but you need to know what to expect.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Kevin, the Town of Torrance, Ca is a rather aggressive town that has lots of commerce and even claimed some beach..... However, there is no fishing their except for a pond called Alondra Park which has plants by the County with trout and catfish in season...You should be centrally located by the 405 freeway which come diagonally thru the town on the north, and other north south freeways are close at hand..... On freeway, the 91 heads out of town to the east, and comes just south of the Santa Ana Lakes which stocks trout and cats again in season... Another Pay lake... More to the east is Irvine lake a pay lake, and then in Corona, another pay lake.... all this within say 40-60 miles of Torrance. If you go 60 miles to the north their are some nice lakes, and to get to where the flatheads range, it is 240 miles to Blythe and the Colorado River. To the south of Torrance some 6o miles their are some lakes and resivoires and into San Diego to the south is their lakes....I'm afraid that you will not find anything like what you had in Tenn..... and might turn into a saltwater nutt, or get into fly fishing and head 200 miles north to the sierra's....Oh, expect a very costly expendature of the food and rents etc, as well as our state gas tax.... with all that said and done, we have lots of sunshine here and Torrance is about where the "sea breazes" come into play and cool things off somewhat around 10:00 am.....Torrance is a nice town, and I'm just west of their at the beach in Redondo Beach.....

Bayrunner Ray

Bayrunner Ray

4. 92yj

92yj New Member

State:
    ca
    there is a lot of fishing spots in ca you just have to look for them i like to go to a few ponds during the week after work. then on the weekends i hit the larger lakes and ocean. if you move here the is some good fishing, salt water is a lot of fun.

5. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I AM FROM CALIFORNIA FOR MANY YEARS AND MOVED TO ARKANSAS 5 YEARS AGO. ANYWAYS, MY DAD SAID HE PAID 38 DOLLARS FOR A FISHING LICENSE AND PRICES GO UP ALMOST EVERY YEAR. I AM NOT AWARE OF FLATHEADS IN CALIFORNIA BUT IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE NEAR THE GREATER BAY AREA THE MOTHBALL FLEET IN ANTIOCH THERE ARE CATFISH AND STURGEON AND STRIPERS THAT ARE GOOD FISHING. JUST SOMETHING THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT AS WELL AND GOOD LUCK.

6. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    tom and ray are right, there are no flatties up north. but lots of channel cat lakes closer than inland empire as they state. you have castic, piru,quail and pyramid lakes. you also have the calif aquaduct that have stripper, bass and catfish. all are a bit of a drive for you, there really isnt any lakes near torrance. if you need to fish but dont wanna drive far, you have the ocean?