Hows the bite on Virginia Rivers

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Captain Cat, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    We will be down to fish the James and the Chick in a couple of weeks My son is going crazy. How is the fishing. We are going mostly for cats but would not mind getting a striper. We have some good rods and reels for fishing up here for cats in the 8 - 20 lb. range. Mostly 7 ft. med. heavy rods with 50lb. spider wire. We use 2 -4 0 circle hooks and sometimes #1 treble hooks will this combo work down there? Does anyone ever use cut suckers for cats? They work good here in the north.
    Thanks and good fishing. Dean

2. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The 4/0 hooks will be small for the bigger cats. You stand a better chance of hooking up with a 5/0 to 8/0.
    Get some gizzard shad and cut into 1" to 11/2" steaks,slice and partially scale the skin and shallow hook the bait. Fish the head whole ,cut off rightbehind the gills
    The treble hook might cause trouble if you plan to C&R.
    Fish the steep drop offs and any structure you can find.

3. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Also remember that you can only keep 1 catfish over 32 inches per day. So, like Reddcat said leave the trebles home unless you're trying for eaters.

4. bluebruiser at james

bluebruiser at james New Member

State:
    Virginia
    To all my brothers/sisters fishin the James/Chick area im gonna bust that 95.7 lbr...Casting from shore.The last 3 yrs. the biggest ive hit was 67 lbs but ive got good feelin about this year.
    To the guy about to hit the chick with his son,"cut eel/shad" is golden.
    For the boy ,I have a 4 yo.he slays the dinks on nightcrawlers everytime.
    To everyone fishin my native holes best of luck.

5. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    My son is 13 and catches more and bigger fish than me most of the time. He is my full time catting partner. We fish every Sat. nite from April thru Sept. He does not miss a trip. Now he wants a big one, hope to get him one on the James. Thanks for the info Guys.Cant wait to get down after the cats. We only get channels up here I want to get a big blue. We always practice catch and release So your big boys are safe from us.

6. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I have been out the last few days and the striper bite is incredible...I planned on catfish,but alot of stripers in the river..they are biting cut herring...can't wait for May1...:big_smile:

7. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Hey Rick thanks for the info. Is Mat 1 Striper season?

8. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Virginia Trophy Seasons: Coastal Area (May 1-15); Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries (May 1 through June 15) ........................................Minimum Size Limit................................................32 inches
    ........................................Possession Limit.....................................................1 per person

Additional Trophy Season Regulations: Catch Report Required; no possession of 32" or greater striped bass in the Spawning Reaches May 1 through June 15. Trophy Season regulations apply in Virginia's Territorial Sea and the Chesapeake Bay and its Virginia tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations). This is copied from http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/swrecfishingrules.shtm Pretty tricky rules they have, So i would read careful.....But I'm still a catman at heart, The stripers just irratate me right now:roll_eyes: