How's the bite on the James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Tommy Davis, May 12, 2006.

1. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

Usually, this is the slow time of the year and i was wondering if anyone has caught any nice blues lately. I'm planning a trip to deep bottom in June, Hopefully night-fishing will be the ticket then.
    Tommy D

2. Jarosh

Jarosh New Member

State:
    Culpeper, Virginia
    The big ones have been tough to catch this time of year, but the little ones up to ~15lbs have been providing plenty of steady action lately. The guys that have been fishing at night have been having more luck with the 20-30lb fish. But overall you just need to cover more water as the big ones are moving around vs holding in the deep holes.

3. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    Water is heating up. Caught some decent fish over the weekend. are you booking a trip or free lancing? Good Luck

4. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

Free lance!! I'm taking some leave on the week of June 12 and traveling there ( Deep Bottom Boat Ramp ) from Wilmington, NC hoping that the big ones will at least be bitting at night. I know usually this doesn't happen until the end of June/ early July but I'm going to take a chance with the water temp starting to rise

Tommy D

5. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

I should be out the night of the 12th. Watch for a red and white pontoon rigged for catfishing. "The Catfishin' Barge" Find me and I may have gizzard shad to share. Gill net surplus. Always willing to help out someone who has traveled a ways to fish for some James River hawgs. I am usually between the 295 bridge and the Benjamin Harrison bridge somewhere.

6. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    Greg,

What holds a gill net in place? I've seen em tied off before but the ones people use to get bait look like they float. Is that the deal?

Thanks!

7. Jarosh

Jarosh New Member

State:
    Culpeper, Virginia
    The net has a float line on top and a lead line on bottom too keep it vertical and open. Depending on the depth where the net is set-up, the net can be free floating or weighted to the bottom. My net has ~10ft of extra float line on each end that I attached a bouy to and ~10ft of extra lead lines that I attached larger weights. Depending on the depth of location the extra wights will keep the net grounded so it doesn't swim away.

But the net is usually only deployed for 10-20 min at a time

8. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Just like what Jarosh is describing. 50ft long x 6ft deep. I use about a 5lb hunk of metal with an eye welded on to tie to on each end of mine. My marker floats on the top floating rope are made out of 1ft sections of fat pool noodle. Most guys only set them for 5 minutes or so to get enough bait for all night. Its real easy to over do it if your not carefull.

9. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I bought my Gill net from the FISH Net Company, is 4 foot deep and cut to 30 feet so I could handle it better from my kayak. Make sure you get the floating top line. I did not and had to add 6 small foam floats before it would hang right.

10. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Hey Tommy- made a trip last night and caught a few. Nothing huge- 12,12,13,21 and a few under 10lbs. Most fish were either filled out or fat, so I think spawn is winding down. Eels were the winning bait, followed by fresh cut gizzard shad. Water temps are in the high 70s right now and should remain so for the next week at least. I find that once water temps reach the low 80s the bite will really slow down. I'm still planning on being out the night of the 12th and should have extra shad if you spot me anywhere.

11. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    Hey guys whats up? I hope to be up that way again real soon. Most likely gonna wait till the end of this month just to make sure the bite is pretty good. I'm having severe withdrawals from that place for sure!

12. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Kept an eye out for ya last night Tommy. We didn't do a whole lot other than a whole bunch under 10. Two biggest fish all night were 10 and 22.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Where do you get the eels for bait? Do you catch them or buy them?

14. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

I buy my eels from a local bait shop. $2 each tho. Ouch! I have a large aerated tank in my garage that I can hold a couple of dozen in. Been trying to find a wholesaler close by to stock up from. I hear I can get them for a few bucks a pound from a wholesaler. I think the ones about 10 inches long are about the perfect size. Use them live till either a big hawg comes along and nails it, or the little ones peck it to death. Once its dead I slit it from rooter to tooter and toss it back out for a couple hours more. Great thing about eels is they stay on forever. Its sometimes hard to get them off your hook to go home.

15. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    My son in law down in Va Beach used to trap them and sell them wholesale but I don't know if he still does it. I'll ask him if he knows anywhere to get them cheap.

16. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

Greg, we got there around 10:30 that night and buy the time i got some shad up and the lines in the water, it was 1215. I only had my net in the water about 5-10 minutes and had more than enough bait.I stayed in-between osbourn landing and presquile and did about the same 15lb being the largest. Got a little cool out there!!! We left around 6:30. Hopefully this rain will settle down and i can try my luck Thursday NIght, We'll see. I'm hearing if i can venture more towards Hopewell area i might do a little better. By the way, i had more hits with eels than shad...

Tommy Davis
    Wilmington, NC

17. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howdy brothers, I am going to be moving down to Richmond August 17. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to get together and show me how yall fish for them big blues? All we have around here in Ohio is big flats unless you go to the Ohio river. I guess fishing for blues is a lot different than flats I heard you got to fish the current more. I don't know much about it and really want to learn since the james is going to be new home. Let me know if you want to wet a line and teach a brother a trick or two.

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to Virginia, Brother! You done fell into it now! There are alot of Flatheads as well as Blues and Channels in Richmond. They hang out in pretty much the same places. The big difference is the bait. Cut bait works better for Blues and big Channels. Look around here and I'm sure you'll find someone that fishes there on a regular basis that will help you out.

19. bigkatsrus

bigkatsrus New Member

State:
    VA
    if you're interested in the bite right now the guides are saying its on!