How's the bite on Lake Wylie?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wylie catter, Aug 10, 2006.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I haven't been up there fishing in probably a month. I'm going to try to sneak out on the water a little this weekend. I figured some of you guys could point me in the right derection "or depth". I hope to be fishing in the very early AM. Before the Jetskies wake up.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    When did you make this post??? LOL!!!

Today is August 11th and I just got in. I caught 12 cats from 7:00am-12:30 and none were over four pounds. It was an "average day" number wise, but slower than I thought considering there was a good wind and it was overcast. Perhaps it was the bright night moon.

The backs of creeks are typically slow this time of year, but I have caught some there and a friend of mine did good in some creeks. Mid lake humps and flats seem to be the best bet, but you may end up on a pod of white cats that are 1-2 pounds. If the mid lake is void of fish then give the creeks a shot.

Take a good selection of bait. It seems like there are days where they will tear bream up and the next day they won't touch it.

As far as depth, 15-20 is about where all my cats have been caught during the day. The water temp is down on the lower lake around 4 degrees from the heavy rain, so that may be affecting the bite.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was out there the same time you were. But I only fished from 6 to 9. I put in at bb but I didn't see you.You must have been on the upper lake. I fished a few shallow points 2 to 4 feet. Only caught 2. A 2lber and a 3.5lber. Used shrimp because I was to lazy to catch bream.

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I was just wondering, you said you use shrimp???? What size and how does it work? I assume fresh?? I normally dont have the time to catch bream and am just learning the ins and outs of catfishing so any help is greatly appreciated.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Bill. Welcome to the BOC, we're always happy to see another Carolinian added to the mix. You can buy bait shrimp (it's inferior grade and old usually) but if I use shrimp, which isn't often, I just go to the grocery store and buy whatever's on sale (a medium size is good, 31-40 count per pound). Usually you can find some in the seafood counter for about the same price per pound as you would pay for frozen ones. Some of it is previously frozen anyway. You can buy frozen ones and thaw them if you like. If you buy "fresh" shrimp from the seafood department and don't use them all for bait, you can steam the rest and eat them for dinner!

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm here to tell you shrimp is a great bait on wylie. Everybody swears by cutbait, and for good reason. Cut bait is allways a good choice, but in my oppinion shrimp is right up there with it. It's clean, it's simple, it's realatively cheap, it's easy to use, and it allways catches fish. The main downfall of shrimp is you ussually won't catch any monsters on it, but wylie's not known for monsters anyway. I've caught 10lbers on it several times on wylie. As far as what kind to buy, it does make a difference. You need to go to the grocery store and buy "fresh" shrimp. I prefer large. Mediums work pretty well but jumbo and extra jumbo don't seem to work as good for me. It has to be fresh, not devained, not steamed, not peeled. EZ peel is ok. Large fit a #4 or #6 circle hook perfect. Just peel them and thread the hook through the body of the shrimp. Be sure to leave the tip of the hook exposed or you will miss a lot of fish. On average they're around $10 a pound but you can find them on sale buy one get one free. Hope this helps.

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks for the advice. I hope to see some of you out there soon...

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fished Wylie for the first time in a week this morning and the bite has seemed to pick back up. The water temp is down to around 84 degrees. It was spotty though, with some places producing fish and some usual good spots not. Picky on bait too, and this morning it was bream only. You could not get them to take a shad or perch.

We started around 6:30am and fished til around 11:00am and caught 21 cats up to six pounds drifting. All fish were caught in at least 15 feet of water.