How's the bite at Kestone dam? Im heading out in a bit.

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by daniel-delarosa, May 1, 2009.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Me and my buddy are heading out to fish Keystone dam tonight at midnight. Probably get there around 1AM. Hopefully with the rain, there wont be many out there. Anyone have any tips? I haven't really fished there a whole lot. Can you fish on both sides now?

2. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I went out there last thursday.. we fished on the generator side all day and didnt catch but 2 channel cats.. saw 1 good sized flat head and 1 striper..

by the time we were leaving we decided to stop by the floodgate side to see if they had caught anything all day and a few people caught a few stripers, crappie and catfish throughout the day..

sucked for us because we spent the whole day on the wrong side :confused2:

3. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    What side is what? Is the north side the generator side? Which side is less crowded?

4. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Yes the north side is the turbine side. Last time i fished there it was in the spring and i went to the south side and fished off of the point at the tulsa end of the rip rap. Icaught a nice 25 pound blue that time. But the turbine side might be the place to try for a little while with flood gates open and not generating power. Throw up to the gate area and see if any thing is scavenger hunting in the area.

Foggy 8)

5. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
  6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes the northside is the generator side.. with the flood gates open and generators running.. you will be guaranteed to lose some tackle fishing on the generator side...

earlier in the morning they were releasing so much water that the water was above the little sidewalk area... we didnt get to fish the otherside and by the time we went over there it was jam packed already..

on the plus side you can catch shad for days down there on the generator side.. I highly doubt they will turn the floodgates or generators off for awhile.. the lake is 7ft above normal

hope this helps

7. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Just got back. Had a blast. Only caught 4 cats, but it sure was nice sitting in the rain sipping on a cold brew.:wink:

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use to fish the North side (Turbine side), I would go down there about 8:00, catch shad and start getting set up. The spot I fished was exactly where the the ramp ended. The sandbass/Hybrid/Striper fishermen leave at dark, so most nights I would have the whole Northside to myself. If you have the tackle to get out between the turbine wash and the gate wash, it causes a natural eddy in there, and I have caught 50 fish some nights out there fishing that spot. It is rough on tackle, so bring plenty of sinkers, I use about a 2 foot dropper for my sinker, and either a break away rig, or I took some 4 oz sinkers and ran lenths of clothes hangers thru the eye of the sinker and made kind of like a grappling hook to hang up in the swift water. Also, be sure and get there early, because I have been down there some nights, and when I first got there, there were plenty of shad, then for some reason, they would leave. If this happens, walk all the way to the end of the walk to where the feeder creek is and you can usually get some shad there.

If you are using a surf rod down there with the water running, I always take with me 2 inches of PVC pipe and some 100 mile per hour tape, and tape the PVC pipe to the rail to put my rods in.

9. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what side did you fish on?

10. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    North side. Thinking of going back this weekend too.

11. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    anyone been out here lately?

12. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Ya i went for 3hrs yesterday and didnt catch any thing. I think i only got a couple of bites. But i did see some big spoonies rolling but i didnt witness any being caught. Hope this helps ya. OOPS wrong lake im still asleep this early i went to Ft Gibson.

Foggy :cool2:

13. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    They've got tainter gates open but havent been generating any water... wonder if thats any good for the generator side or not..

Well i'll be haeding out there tomorrow when I get off work to check it out