How's my New Setup?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Spongiform, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Picked up a new setup today.

Reel:
    Shimano IX 4000

Rod:
    Shimano FX Spinning "FXS-80MHB-2"

Line:
    Berkley Big-Game 25 Green

Ran $34 with tax. Not bad I think?

I tested the line and it snapped at 24.8 lbs of pressure (used my fish scale).

After some research it looks like my stretch of river will have channels and blue cats - up to about 20#'s at most.

Am I good to go?

What size hooks would you recommend? I'm liking baitholder hooks and jigheads(for high snag spots) and .5 to 2 oz of weight depending on the current conditions.

I'd like to be able to hook any of the fish that bite. I'm not picky :D

I've been using a mixture of size 2 through 6 and have had the best luck with the 2 and 3's as far as setting the hook consistently on bites.

In other words, I'd like the smallest hook possible that can still reliably hook a 20#'er.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Looks like a nice rig, now you have to test it on fish. Just another excuse to go fishing, yes!

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a really nice setup, thats really close on the line test, huh.

4. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's the best line I've tested so far! berkley trilene 8lb broke at 4 lbs of pressure. How I managed to pull in a 7-8# channel with it I don't know.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    spongiform.... your rod lessens the force considerably on the line (WR blue on 4 lb line is over 35lbs...so its very possibly heck the 20lb line class line is Splash at 121.5lbs...)

How much line were you able to actually fit on the reel... you may not be able to recover if a large fish wants to run i think i know the 4000 and it seems like it'll fit maybe 80-100 yds of 25 lb on it... I upsize my ultra light reels for just that purpose... a typical UL reel will hold 80-120 yds of line... when i'm constantly cutting line because of nicks in it that would leave me with 20 yards very fast and why i go to the next size up in the alpha line rated for 150 yds of 6lb line and i load it with 4 so it'll have atleast 200 yds of line... I'd say upsize the reel by atleast one more if you can just so you have more line on then you'll need or think you'll need just in case...

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Sounds like your new set up will work pretty good. For the hooks, my favorite for just general catfish is 4/0. It'll definately hold a 20 lber, but more than likely, it won't hook a channel cat less than a couple pounds. I don't really want to mess with those anyways to be honest. But, if you're dead set on catching EVERY catfish that strikes, then I'd go with 2/0. Just don't bury your hook in too much bait, or you won't set any hooks at all.
    1-2 oz bank sinkers usually get the job done where I fish, but when the river's up and flowing fast, sometimes I need to jump up to a 5 or even 6 oz sinker. Hope this helped and tight lines to ya.

-Red

7. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I got about 90-100 yards of string on the reel. I mainly shore fish and only need to cast out about 10-15 yards to be in the sweet spot. I usually don't set the pole down because I'll be fishing near logjams and need to pull them away from the big piles quickly.

I would like a larger reel but that was the best I could afford at the moment. I'll be keeping an eye out for a larger model to go on sale or something.

Looks like I'll be experimenting with a mixture of 2-3-4 for now and see how that goes.