How's Lake Wylie?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by billfish76, Jan 13, 2007.

1. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Has anyone been out on Lake Wylie lately??? I want to get in some fishing time this upcomming week, so any help would be great...

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey, the drift bite has been slow but you can still catch cats 20-25 feet. Anchor up for the big boys in the north end of the lake and maybe you can break Dieter's unofficial lake record.

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks for the info. Have you heard anything from the lower end of the lake??? Are you going to be out there anytime soon???

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I may go in the morning to catch some bait. The perch fishing was outstanding but now is pretty skimpy. Catching channel cats to 3-6 pounds drifting on the South end. No wall hangers but the larger channels still have some zip in their fins. Try Catawba or the Fork if you are looking for a Blue.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have not fished Wylie yet this year. My last trip was New Years weekend. I had luck in the creeks in 12-18 feet of water. The fish were not everywhere, just in certain pockets were you would catch 3-4 in a 50 yard stretch and then nothing. Don't ask me why that is, unless they are schooled. The more knowledgeable fishermen can answer whether they school more in winter.

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I have found that it seems blues seem to "ball up" in the winter and also accroding to year class. Usually they'll be a lot of big ones or a lot of small ones together. I see them usually scattered in the summer and they are schooled good enough in the winter where I can usually anchor over a school and if they are feeding, I catch some good fish out of one spot where drifting works good in the warmer months. Never fished Wylie, but I assume a blue is a blue no matter where he is.