Howell Island?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ultramindbrk, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone ever fish Howell island from the bank? I am pretty sure it is flooded right now..Is it worth a try?

2. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    You can catch fish there. When the water is higher the fishing there is better. You can catch shad there when the water is shooting through there. Have you ever been there? There is a road that connects you to the island and most likely is under water right now. If you catch it with water creating some current you can catch some. It has alot of snags though. When the water is really low in summer I have never caugght anything with size. It pretty much just becomes backwater.

3. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :wink: Thanks again for all your help Noj!!

4. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Once the water subsides a little and you can get onto the island by foot I would recommend taking a walk to the river side of the island. There are some nice wing damns there that have produced some nice fish for me. I've always fished it with a boat but there is no reason that you could not do it from the island its self. In fact I often nose right up to the wing damn and tie off to a boulder. Look for scour holes downriver and float your bait into them. Good luck and BE SAFE!! I would not want to walk over there with the water the way it is now.

5. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    While true, the shortest distance across is a mile, the paths do not go all the way to the river leaving you to trudge through some of the ugliest stuff you can imagine, and you'd be carrying all your gear. Basically, it's not feasible.

Carrying a bow and a treestand through many of the places gets challenging! :eek:oooh:

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    We trudged many a mile to farm ponds all over when we were kids and that was carrying tons of stuff.

Kids today wouldn't hardly walk farther than the back yard to fish, that would be cruel and unusual punishment.:roll_eyes:

7. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    An easier trip with the bow would be when the water is really really low the Asian Carp stack up below the pipes. You could have yourself a field day bowfishing them.:roll_eyes: