Howdy

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jacomo, May 15, 2009.

1. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just found the site from catfishsafari.com. Been fishing since I was little, regularly catfishing for the last 15 years or so. Got to go with catfishsafari last September and loved it so much I set my boat up to drift but havent done it yet this year. I fish Jacomo mostly since I live 15min away. We sit in the boat 40ft or so from bank and fish right up at the bank. Usually dont keep anything under 5# and regualary catch 10#ers. Im ready to start catching bigger ones and any advise would help. Looks like I need to practice up on my throw net and start catching live bait and maybe try some rivers. Ive got a 16ft flat bottom big jon, but only have a 9.9 johnson, all Jacomo would allow at the time they now allow 25's. I might have a deal worked out on a 20, so that will help some. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to post pics of some big'uns!

Jake

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Jake, welcome to the BOC from Texas.

3. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC! Definately get good at throwing a net for bait, only way to go in my opinion unless you're flathead fishing then its hard to beat big live bluegill. As far as catching bigger fish, just get out there and fish as much as you can. I can't say there is really any pattern for catching bigger fish, I've caught them on big baits and small baits. Warmer water seems to favor bigger baits, cold winter time water I've done well on smaller baits. Deep, shallow, just depends on what the fish are doing at the time. One thing, big blues seem to prefer the swift current. Chris

4. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Jake, welcome to the BOC

5. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    Welcome from a fellow MO cat man. You are pretty close to me, and if you want to get into a big one let me know and I ll help you find some "hot" spots

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jake. Nothing beats fresh bait. Try different things when you go. Fish deep, shallow. Try hole baits cut bait and live bait. The fish will let you know what they want. Then you can fish that type of bait. Good luck on your quest for a big fish.

Tom

7. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys. Glad I found this place. Im ready to get some lines wet but never have had much luck after big rain, before and during just not after. So I dont think I'll get out tonight but maybe tomorrow night and definitaly all next week. Ive got a throw net I got years ago, I think I'll get it out today and do some practicing.

8. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Big ol BOC wecome from Kansas.

9. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Welcome:big_smile: Try giving Blue Springs a try as well late night. There are some biggies there, but that lake the bite is on after dark. Keep going with Jacomo as well. With the boat you have there are a few good smaller rivers that feed into the Missouri. I love crooked river near Hardin. There is also Fishing River near Orrick. There is also Sni A Bar at Wellington. Plus there are some others as well. Get that shad net and go with better bait such as fresh shad. I will tell you I have been having good luck with shad guts at jacomo the past week. Still, nothing over ten pounds, but a good steady bite anyway. Tonight we fished blue springs and they were loving live blue gills or perch in the three to four inch range. The biggest tonight was caught by my best freinds son.

10. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC Jake!

11. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Welcome to BOC . Good luck on the big one.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jake. I live in Independence. Need to get together soon and do some fishing.. My son caught what I would guess to be a 15# channel Fri. night at Jacomo after the rain. He didn't have any scales and I'm only guessin the weight. Some good fishin out there after a rain.

13. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Really, I havent had much luck in the past after rain so I guess I just kind of quit tryin. Maybe I should give it another shot

14. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Forgot to mention J.C, I was born and raised in Independence. Moved out to BS about 8yrs ago. I was in the class of '90 at Truman High School.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    As soon as you get your ten post I'll Pm you my phone#. Or you could PM me yours.

16. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Will do!

17. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I was class of 1990 at Christman. I read your shad post. How did you like now having to walk down and up that hill behind the dam? Do get those shad immediatly in ice and they will be good for a day or two. Any time you guys want to go give me a pm or a ring as well. A heads up to both of you and this happened to me saturday night. There are some people in a crown vic and another silver car that closely resembles a police car. They even dress as police and are messing with people. I took my best freinds son and his freind fishing at Blue Springs Saturday night not to far from the marina. They drove up and shined spotlights on us so we couldn't actually see the car to well. They got a gun out as they walked to us and even had me get on the ground with my hands up. When I got the feeling they were fake I had the kids run off in the woods and call 911. I got up and starting confronting them and thank goodness I didn't get shot. I was going to take a bullet before they were. Anyway, to make a long story short they took off. The blue springs police arrived very quickly, but wasn't able to get them. They told me they have been having a real problem with them the past couple of weeks. The silver car is a girl and two guys. The black crown vic is a couple of guys. All of them are early 20's so beware.

18. benwebber

benwebber New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    wow that is crazy... thanks for the heads up!

19. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    WOW that is crazy hate to say it but if they started running off I would have had a hard time not pop'n off some shots:confused2:

I went to Palmer Jr High so I knew some people from Christman, small world!

ETA..Oh yeah the hill was great:eek:oooh: When did they close the road off? I guess for the construction. And I didnt actually finish at Truman, i finished at St.Johns Military, Salina KS (problem child:big_smile:)

20. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jake welcome to THE GREAT BOC!!!