Howdy Folks........

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by ahoki, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm new to these forums. Catfishing has always been a hobby of mine. Until last year all i have done is bass fish and i figured it was time for a bit of a change. The family loves catfish so I figured now was the time to get a little more into it and start bringing in the meat in larger quantities.
    My son just turned 10 so its perfect timing for him, he's having a blast with it. We have mostly been jugging, but i've started getting back into trot lines also. We hit eufaula, thunderbird, arbuckle and such pretty regularly for the bass. For the cats ive been on eufaula and t-bird mostly. Just wonderin if anyone had any hints or suggestions on where the best spots might be. We stay in the campsite at porum landing on eufaula, and well t-bird is pretty acessable from anywhere. I have also started my hunt and trying to learn how to throw the cast nest for shad. LOL this is not as easy as it sounds.... I have a 1968 starcraft aluminum boat 25 hp no trolling motor, with a cheapy fish and depth finder (neither it does real well)........ how do ya get those shad??
    Well that sums up my attempt at a hello and where im at. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks for having me aboard. This is the best informed site i've found.

Thanks AHOKI

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Welcom to the best CATFISHING site on the net hands down the best! I hope you enjoy the BOC as much as I do!

Aaron

TA2D

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome micha to the BOC. there is a shad thread In the catfish1 page click that at the top of page.

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Ahoki,
    Welcome to the BOC! Those cast nets can be a real pain sometimes!!
    I'm from the northeastern part of the state and don't know much about Eufala and nothing about T-bird.
    If you're jugging, find a drop-off about 40 feet or so from shore and set your jugs just to the shore side at about 10- 12 feet deep. Bait with live shad and/or bream and check at least twice in an eight hour period, preferably dusk, midnight, and dawn.
    Good luck and Welcome again!!

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to the BOC. I can't help much with your lakes but can give a little advice on shad. Check out coves and focus your efforts towards the shore where the wind (if any) is blowing. Keep casting and working your way to the back of the cove pushing them farther back into the cove. Flowing water of any kind coming from creeks and below dams brings food for the shad. In the summer shad can be seen flipping at the surface. Also any points on the lake are good locations. Focus your efforts on the side of the point where the wind is blowing towards. Shad can be found in water as little at 1 foot or less. Big shad can also be caught this time of year spawning in VERY shallow water. Good luck and welcome

6. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks for all the welcomes and the shad tip! I'm really liking this site. I've looked for months for a site like this.

AHOKI

7. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the boc, micah. great people and site, enjoy.

8. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. You can find good info on cast nets in the Library.

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net!:big_smile:

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the family, always great to have another new member. If you need help getting an avatar/profile pic up just let me know. Always glad to help. Makes the BOC more personable.

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC family!!!!

Glad to have another Okie on board.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Micah... Get ready to rumble...:lol:

13. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Micah. You have found a great website. Lotsa good folks & info here, enjoy!

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Welcome Micah. Guess fishing is pretty much relevant to where you live. If your towards the Shawnee area, T-bird and Eufala will pretty much be your fishing holes. It is just a matter of preference, but I personaly like Kaw Lake, up near Ponca City. The lake seems to have an abundance of blues and channels and there are campgrounds available also. The tailwater below Kaw dam can also produce some pretty decent catfishing - lots of gar too, LOL, not much to eat but sure fun on a line. It's about 100 - 105 miles from Shawnee or 110 from the city. hen there is Keystone, near Tulsa. Good campgrounds also, and cats. Only fish it once a year when they have the state gathering there - so far I only caught one 6lb channel, but sure meet a lot of wonderful people. There are places all over the state to fish, but most of them are in eastern OK. People in the central area sort of got the shaft as the only rivers we have aren't really fit to fish in - got some in them, but little. Oh, well, keep your lines tight and catch some for that boy - gotta keep him interested.

15. txkatfish

txkatfish New Member

State:
    Holliday, Texas
    Welcome to the BOC. You will enjoy the forums and the people are really cool.

16. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks again for the welcomes and such...... :)

as awshuks said its all about the boy, and he's having a blast...... well all the times he doesnt ditch me for a night with a friend or even worse GRANDMA lol. Me and some friends have been messing with eufaula alot in the last few years, learning alot about dutchess creek and mud creek (The porum landing area) I have a great spot finally figured out up there after 3 years of exploring that area. I'm hitting t-bird this weekend, well friday night anyway. Just got through finishing the boys 20 jugs with 5 hooks each and 2.5 lbs of concrete in a cup for weight. all set to be ran 12 to 15 ft in depth with 3 foot or so between 5/0 cat hooks. 200 hooks im hopeing for at least 30 or so good ones maybe more, and i figure since i fish past midnight i get to restart count at that time if i read the rules right...... hmmm thats legally 60 fish i can bring home between me and the boy :) If we strike it rich i'll try to get a pic or 2 on here.

Again , thanks for the warm welcome.

Fish on! Micah

17. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    As you see unlike bass fishermen,we catters are willing to share info.Thats what makes the Brotherhood the best fishing site on the web.Glad your here!:smile2:

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Mike! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. Glad to have you here! :smile2:

19. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Welcome to Boc Mike

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Welcome to the BOC brother! Sounds like your son is gonna have a hoot! Good luck and keep on fishin' !