Howdy folks!

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by Nightstalker 424, May 26, 2009.

1. Nightstalker 424

Nightstalker 424 New Member

State:
    California
    Hey everyone. I was recently directed to this site and am impressed. I took my first trip to the river a few weeks ago. I managed a few channels but missed out on the bigger flatheads. I'm heading back down there this Saturday night. I'm thinking about going further south and trying out the Palo Verde area.

I was told to fish the drainage ditches. The ones I saw couldn't have been more than a couple of feet deep. Am I overthinking this or should I look for deeper ones? Also, I managed to catch a couple of Gills but had them die out on my pretty quick while in my bucket. The goldfish I had lived but were pretty sluggish. Any tips on keeping the bait alive? Thanks everyone and I'm looking forward to participating on the board.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome Sean to the BOC brother:wink:

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Sean from Mo. Dont ever underestamate the shallow water bite.

Tom

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    same here welcome to the BOC :big_smile: good luck ..

tons of friendly folks on here and endless information enjoy !!!!!:wink:

and congrats on your fish ya caught ...

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Sean to the BOC. You will find some answers here. You might want to check the library on this site. Good Luck!

6. Nightstalker 424

State:
    California
    Thanks. Mo and CatfishScotty, I have an Uncle that was stationed in Knob Noster and would take me catfishing below Truman Dam. Good times there!! Those Missouri cats sure put up a fight!!!

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Sean! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :big_smile:

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Another welcome to the BOC Sean.

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Welcome man. Yeah the drainage ditches are better if they have some more water in them.. however you'd be surprised at how little water can hold a biggo flathead. There are tons of gills talapia and bass trapped in there and the flathead don't have to do all that much work to eat. Go south more down by or below Palo Verde and you can find some larger canals.

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Sean welcome to the BOC from N.C. you have found the best catfishing site on the web, great info ,but best of all the people on here r the greatest

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Don't worry about the shallow water,, It makes it a bit easier if you have to go untangle one!!
    I pulled fish out of the canals and the main channel this past weekend,, Just take your pic!!

Regarding the bait,, they need fresh water, cool water, clean water..
    some use Bubblers, and they work OK, but in the summer they don't keep it cool.
    I take a 5 gal bucket, like from laundry detergent, drill a bunch of holes in it. tie a rope on it, and toss it in whatever water you're fishing in,,,, after securing the lid:wink: A recent modification-improvement to that system is to drill holes only halfway around, so it doesn't leak towards you, or in your boat..I also, don't drill below about a 4" waterline, so it will hold some water if need be. handy to have a non-holy bucket to put the holy bucket in, if you decide to move to another area..I don't have a "baitwell" other than that.. It's not perfect, but, it works..

Also,, Welcome to the BOC!!:smile2:

12. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Sean. Glad to see you made it.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sean Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Check out the BOC library whe nyou get time. Lots of good fishing info.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

14. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Welcome to the BOC from Fresno Cali. Maybe I'll see you down in Blythe.

15. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Sean welcome to the BOC

16. Nightstalker 424

State:
    California
    All, I truly appreciate the warm welcome. Such an atmosphere makes it that much easier to ask what may be a silly question to some. Jag and Snagged, thanks for the tips. I will try both this weekend for sure. Mickey, I was supposed to be studying for a promotional exam today but ended up in the library for most of it!!! Great stuff in there!!! Once again thanks for the hospitality!

17. Nightstalker 424

State:
    California
    Hey Catman, have you been to McClure recently by chance? The lake was almost gone the last time I went there! Let me know if you get down this way!

18. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Welcome to the family brother!!!!

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC Sean

20. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member