How'd ya'all make out this Christmas?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by sal_jr, Dec 26, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    So what did ya get?

I got 2 books, one on politics and religion (surprise surprise) and one other that is a MASTER BOOK as far as I have read so far on the art of smoking and preserving and how to build your own smokehouse. I also got a coffee maker. (Tony, I loved yours so much that I asked for one for Christmas as soon as I got home from that trip in October- and I got that exact one!) My folks bought me a replica of the rainbow trout I caught in Alaska. My inlaws got me two 48" bar clamps and a home depot card for 50 bucks.

Oh yeah.... One big fat unexpected Christmas gift too.....

It became a GREAT christmas for Elena. An even better Christmas for us both too- SHE HAS GOT A JOB! :cool2: :wink: :smile2:

One year and 3 days of searching, over 200 applications and 4 interviews, countless sleepless nights, moments of panic and wonder.... They all do not matter now as much, Boys! She go the call at 4:30 on christmas eve day.

Elena now works for the "28th district Representative" as a legislative asistant. She starts tomorrow in the Capital Building in Lansing and will be the asistant under Representative Wojno (D- Warren and parts of Macomb county district). Now when I get laid off in February, instead of panicking and freaking out like I had planned to do, I can prepare to get my butt back in school and finish my master's degree... If I get into school full time, then I can have my degree in 13 months, PLUS I can do homework from anywhere... even in the middle of saginaw bay on my boat, or on any given river in God's green country for instance.

I can also crack out a part time job anywhere in the meantime to help diffuse costs if I can find one when I get laid off.

SO HOW DID YOU ALL DO THIS CHRISTMAS???

-Sal

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, let's start out by giving your wife a great big Congrats on her new job.
    Sal, for you, a big Yahoo on your Christmas haul.
    I did all right myself. A couple of sweat shirts, a nice camo jacket, a book, a sundial (for the garden), a couple small shop tools I had ask for, and most of all both my kids were home for the Holidays. It was a great Christmas!
    Sparky

3. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    congrats to your wife sal

my family gave me some money, i ended up with about 200 dollars, my mom got me a hooded sweatshirt, and my gma got me a little portible game, looks like it will be great for waitin on some bites. i bought a new medium action spinning combo for fishing eater size channels, i also got some terminal tackle. i got about 140 bucks left, and about 200 dollars worth of stuff left to buy. merry christmas to all

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Sal,
    I got a couple of books also, along with the "World Trade Center" DVD.

Congrats on the job. I'm sure that peace of mind was the best present possible.

I'm with Sparky, though. I had all my kids and grandkids over and that makes the best Christmas ever.

Glad yours was a good one and hope 2007 is as good or better.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I made out like a champ:0a28: :0a28:

6. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    Let me add my congrats to your wife on finding a job in this economy. One question tho.......Will she still have time to make that great food she sends along on our outings???????? (like we need all the food we have on those trips) As for my Christmas haul? Santa polished my lump of coal this year. Does that mean I'm almost off the naughty list??

I'm looking forward to May and the trip to the St. Joe. My calander is marked, and i have already found someone to watch ol' Festus for the weekend. Now that the days are getting longer my "blue lite special" is begging to go fishin'.

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Good News!!
    That's prayers answered for Sal & Elena, and I'm so glad to hear it! And you won't even have to move, I imagine. That is great. Please pass my congrats along to her.

I got two Berkely "Quickset" rod holders (nice!), a box full of tackle from C.C., a Bosch drill, and a bunch of clothes that I needed. Got together with both sides of the family, except for my sister who's working in South America.

Now, if only it were spring... oh well, only four months to wait.

Hey, the first real open open water fishing is the sucker run, right? We ought to keep an eye on that so we can get together & lay in a season's worth of cut bait, don't you think?
    Who knows when & where?

God bless you all in 2007,
    Tony

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I go sucker fishing every year on the eastside of the Mitten. (Omer) We catch the heck out of them, just ask Vic. This year I'll most likely go the 22nd, 23rd or the 24th of March. It's a trip, for you guys in the Grand Rapids area, but the fishing is unbelievable. Vic caught so many fish, his arms were tired and sore. He said he never thought he would ever say he had enough fishing for one day, but he did.
    This isn't spearing and wadding around in the water, this is casting and catching fish. It's a ball!
    It takes me about 1hr. 45min. to get to the fishin hole. From Grand Rapids, go North on 131 to Reed City, head east on 10 to 27 north. Go North to 61 east. When you get to Standish, turn left on 23 go about 5mi. to the little town of Omer. We fish in the little camping area to the right just past the bridge. I'm telling you guys, it's nothing but a RIOT!!!
    Sparky

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Tony: You bet it is a prayer answered, and no... we will not have to move.

Moreover, during orientation today, Elena called me and told me that she has a well connected ally in the building. He set her right up with a great parking space near the capital building, and more importantly he got her on the payroll for December... which means she gets automatic benefits for 2006's standardsstarting immediately, instead of having to wait 60 days if she were hired in as of Jan 2 2007 like she was supposed to. That is a relief, for sure.

Things are getting better by the moment.... and yes... I am extremely grateful. I will pass your congrats along tonight when I see her.

THE SUCKER RUN

Sparky,
    I honestly thought I had a good spearing setup over here, being able to get more suckers than I needed in an hour of walking. HOWEVER after reading about last year, the stories you and vic passed back and forth- you bet I will be hunting down you and your special spot in Omer this year. The idea tht you fellas had THAT much luck really made me sad that I didnt do it last year.

I would really really like to be part of that trip this year. Please keep me updated.

Now Tony.... If we need to (and I think we do "need to") we can run to the family Game ranch about the time that we get around to gathering suckers. Standish is an hour from there- considerably less distance than a GR-to-OMER trek. We can use that as an "overnight" base to reenergize. It also will allow us time for me to show ya the property and for you to see the animals, converse over a cuppa coffee by the fireplace, and of course, get rest if the need arises.

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Sparky-
    After all the times you Thumb-Side guys came over here, the least we could do is drive your way for that kind of action!
    Keep us posted on your plans & we'll make it happen.
    Tony

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    You bet I'll keep you posted. When the suckers are in, it is a real Hoot!
    Sparky

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    That is the time of the year the suckers run as thick as the mud! Perch In the bay start then the Vic fish!!! And carp and Cats Then Walleye by than this is July! as ever one can see it's hard to leave this place!! But for them big flatties I'm ready let's go

13. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    count me in for a day or two of sucker fishing. I've had some good trips for them, but never as good as you make it sound Sparky.

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Alright Sal,
    I have printed that paragraph and I promise to hold you to it. We may even wind up making this sucker fishing trip into a pig roast. I think my smoker will fit in the back of my truck...
    I'm beginning to like this sucker fishing trip already. And most importantly, it gives me something to plan for & think about during the Cabin Fever months of January & February!

(When I read it, I wondered why I hadn't seen your post, until I saw that we both posted at exactly 2:13 PM.)

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Hey michigan guys...

Im just finishing this book that Elena got me for Christmas. It really is the "Bible" on how to run a smoker and to build your own smoker or smokehouse.

If you like reading technical stuff and want something to dg into this winter, get it. This book has me feeling like a chef already. LOL

"Mastering The Craft of Smoking Food" by Warren R Anderson.
    ISBN 1-58080-135-8 retail price: $18.95