How you fish the Altamaha when it's rising fast??

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by bugg, Sep 22, 2009.

1. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    The Alatmaha River is really coming up fast.. it's right on the verge of filling the swamps by this weekend... Sandbars are being covered, most are already half covered.. The sloughs are filling with water... current very rapid in places,this is what I would call a major rise...

QUESTION: What's the best way to fish the river when it's on a rapid rise...??:confused2:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    I would fish right against the bank

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I would look for the larger creek mouths, if you know where the big sandbars where when the water was low I would fish those too....on the bottom end of them. Basically look for current seams where slower or even slack water meets fast water......

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    also be carefull, im sure there will be lots of debri and tree trunks coming down river. i would keep something handy incase you need to cut the anchor line.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Spot on my man.

The mouth and tributary around negro island, knee buckle, popple and hanner and the tributary leading into the morgan lake. Any of the lakes on a UTM map are good at high water, and you can get to many in a shallow draft boat.

Watch those gators.. :wink:

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bugg,

Check out the attached image.

Attached Files:

7. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I went to the cabinWednesday night and fished all day Thursday until 11 o'clock Thursday night. I was exhausted by the time I got back to the cabin... we had several good bites and I hooked a nice sized fish of some kind... for no apparent reason that I can account for the fish was just gone. :confused2: I got several good turns on him and then nothing. Quite frustrating but exciting nevertheless. I slept good last night anyway...

Paul what kind of maps are you using? Is that Google Earth...? I didn't see your last post until a few minutes ago but we were fishing on the outside channel in the mouth of the Greek and sloughs. I'm going back out tonight and I'll try further in the Greek.. Thanksfor the help

8. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    My advice is to wait until the river levels off a little the Altamaha is a dangerous place at normal water levels.
    That image Paul posted is a google earth map image. It does produce I lost a good sized fish in that spot this summer and I was using 100# Power Pro.:crazy::crazy:

Good luck if you decide to go but be careful I would hate to lose a BOC Brother.