How would you fish this lake?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Hoopie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am wanting to fish in a local lake for channels, but my lake experience is limited.(spend all my time on the river) The lake is a manmade with lots of vegetation on the botom. There is a lot of deep water and a couple small coves. My question is where would you fish and what setup/rig and bait would you use?

2. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd probably try a rig setup to keep my bait maybe 2-3 foot off the bottom outta that vegetation. That or try to fish with a float to avoid all the snags. What are you gonna be using for bait? Are you gonna be bank fishing or out of a boat?

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i have done alot of flathead fishing in man made lakes around 200 acres using a balloon float or big slip bobber using perch,bluegills close to the coves and grass weedy banks with great success on the flatheads and also nice channels infact catch more channels then flatheads doing this.

also you cant go wrong with good old night crawlers and bottom rig if can also spray the night crawlers with the cheap catfish attractent from walmart I caught a 37 lb flathead with the crawler and sent spray , with hundreds of channels

myself i dont like stink bait but i know in some areas it works well also .

try to find some kind of structure in the lake logs,stumps,big rocks, in the deep and shallow water.

4. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    also if the bottom is mossy or with alot of silt settlement and u feel your bait is being hidden because of this use a egg or no roll sinker and make a carolina rig with a long 3 foot leader and use a small cork about 8 inches from your hook this way the sinker will be on the bottom but the cork will float your bait up about a foot or 2 out of the muck so the fish can find and smell the bait better.

hope this helps ya and good luck let us know what worked and how you did and post some pictures :wink:

5. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    dont be afraid to fish close to the bank for channels I also do some bass fishing at these kinds of lakes from a boat and cast to the bank using plastic worms (berkly power worms ) they are sented and have caught a large amount of channels on the bank in a foot of water when bass fishing right smack in the middle of the day and even caught a 18 lb flathead on a rattle trap in a foot of water or so right at the bank close to a small limb that had fallen into the water.

what im trying to say is that cats are not allways in a deep hole or the deepest part of the lake , they are where the bait fish hang out more often .

6. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    seems to me that the best place is if there is any run off coming into the lake. but this is only after some rain. i also like to fish wind blown shores and deep holes. i always try to fish where the wind is blowing to the shore because i think it blows a bunch of food there