How would you fish this hole?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by caneycat, Jun 28, 2008.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I did it, I asked my mom if she would let me go night fishing up the creek and she is not to wild about the Idea but she said yes, I just need to get my dad to put lights on the boat first! This is the first hole that I want to fish for yellow cats.
    [​IMG]]
    Inside the line is timber free and all around it has lots of cover. The hole is a good bit bigger but I don't think you can fish it and the cover more spread out. Whats in the pic is the part of the log jam that has the most cover and the only spot that you can fish that I know of. Do yall think this is the best why to fish it? Also I was told by a guy that he caught two yellas out of this hole one was a 33 lb and the other was a 60 something, so I know there is some big ones in there! Thanks for the help!
    PS, This pic was taken in January and the water was a bit low at the time.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would fish that as much as possible.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    When you get there listen....... You will hear the fish coming out of the water chasing bait. I ALWAYS lay a bait 1-3 feet from shore. I also like a bobber with the bait 1-2 feet down floated past that stuff.

That looks like a good spot.

Best of luck to ya young man.

Shawn

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice hole.

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Dylan:

That looks and sounds like a great hole. Your rod positions look fine to me. Let us know how you do and give us a report in the "member fishing reports" section. Just keep trying different presentations. Flatheads can be very elusive at times. Like Shawn said, place some baits in shallow water close to shore. Flatheads will cruise those areas and take advantage of any easy prey! Wow, looks like an awesome hole! Good luck!

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey that hole makes me want to visit texas!
    Send us pics of the flats you pull out of that hole.
    Lindsay

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I think you have a great looking spot. However if given the chance I would probably choose to 2 pole it and put my other pole somewhere else. You might consider this if you don't get any action after a bit in that hole just chuck one line off the other side of the boat or something. One thing I've learned and made into a rule for myself is this, JUST BECAUSE A SPOT LOOKS GREAT DOES NOT MEAN IT'S THE ONLY PLACE THE FISH WILL BE!
    That may be a great body of water and for whatever reason the flathead are out in deeper water that night ooorrrr there is a school of shad running somewhere else nearby. I don't think you are doing anything wrong just don't forget to look around and see what else that body of water has to offer and fish it too.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very nice log jam. I would rotate my boat 90 degrees to the left so that I was positioned on the up stream side of the log jam. This will allow my bait ( or the scent of my bait) to drift through the log jam. I would position rod 1 on the outside edge of the log jam to the left. Rod 2 would be deep into the log jam. This rod will require a very heavy weight/3-way rig with a very short leader. Live bluegill that has the tail clipped. Rod 3 is going to be on the far right of the jam (this area looks most open). I am going to take some chances with this rod so I rig it with a slip bobber, set about 1 foot off of the ground and I am going to "drift" this line down the outer edge of the jam to see if the cats will come out and grab it as it passes by.

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    You might also try those rocks just ahead of the snag.Fishing at night,the Flatheads tend to roam a little,looking for baitfish.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats a fishey looking spot if I have ever saw one!

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Looks like a honey hole to me. Keep us updated as to how you do.

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    You've got a good point. This looks like a flathead sleep hole more than a hunt hole. Might want to get there before the sun goes down and then stay late.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    looks like a great spot bro. i also agree with knuckles make sure you roam if the spot donr produce. you mite want to test it with a few log, limb, or trot lines while you are waiting for those lights. the lines can fish all night when you cant sometimes. we do this all the time on new teritories to see there potential. please, be carefull if you set lines! big fish and heavy lines can be deadly dangerouse!!!!!

best of luck to you: tim

14. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    great looking hole, let us know how it goes

:0a23:

15. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Went night fishing tonight, Got few bites and no fish. But I had fun hoping to go again soon for blues.

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would not give up on this hole just yet. It looks very promising and I am sure there are a couple of flats hiding in there.

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looks like a decent spot to me. but, one thing to remember when fishing that close to your prey. Be very quiet. stomping around in an aluminum boat, opening and closing cooler lids, and dropping stuff in the bottom of the boat will run fish out of that spot quick. you ever go to a good bait creek, and catch fish like mad for a few minutes then nothing? well, you didnt catch all the fish. nor did they just decide they were'nt hungry anymore. you spooked them! and it's time to move. flathead are just as sensitive to our presence if not more than creek chubs are. if your not stealthful and quiet you may not know just how good of a hole this is..

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ok, I just wanna throw in one other approach to this spot.

Don't ever forget that just because your in a boat, it don't mean ya gotta stay in it ; ) You can ram the boat a shore and sneak up/down the bank. And I gotta say, I would throw my line on both sides of that jam, close to shore. Sometimes its a welcoming method when you've been sitting in a boat for awhile and a lot of times you can get in the jam better.

-Jim-

19. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    :worship: very nice spot the way you have it looks fine