how would you fish this hole?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by river scum, Feb 20, 2008.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i havent seen one of these threads for a while. i always thaught they were intersting. fun and informative to see the answers from everyone.

this river is considered small. it has a rubble bottom with some bolders here and there. the average depth is 4ft with a very few holes to 20ft. the average width is 100-150yrds. shad carp sucker drum and the like are forage base. current is 4mph at normal flow. the island area is more or less a natural rock dam of a foot and less at normal flow.

tell how you would fish it under different (low moderate and high) water conditions.

Attached Files:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'd probably set up to the right of the island and fish the top, bottom, and the side of the hole facing the flat to the right of the hole.

High water, more up on the flat.

Low water, deeper in the hole.

I'll be interested to hear what others think.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would fish the back side of the island. Shallow too! During high rains and flooded conditions, they come shallow!

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    During low water I would set up in the riffle and fish in front of the island and on either side. I would also night fish just downstream of the island on the edge of the hole, as well as set up on the 2-4 foot flat. I would also pay VERY close attention to the downstream side of the boulders.

High water, I would fish just behind the island, again behind the boulders, and somewhere on that 2-4 foot flat should be a swirl, an eddy. In other words whereever the current is interupted, the predators will lie in wait.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'd fish it with you Tim. You know where it is. LOL!

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have to agree with that. You know where it is.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    some good answers so far any more input?

BG, you can fish this spot its a secret. shoot i cant even fish it sometimes because i wont tell myself where it is! lol

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If you really think the area holds some big fish I'd try and fish it every way imaginable until some sort of a pattern emerges. There's so many different ways to fish that area that I couldn't tell you any one way to fish it. Trial and error I guess. I'm going to try and do that in a few of my favorite flathead spots when it warms up. Try fishing them a little bit differently than I have in the past and see if it makes any difference.

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I'd try that 4-6ft area below the bend.15ft just above,nice current flow.looks like a natural ambush point to me.

10. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I would fish just behind the island where it drops to 15', right at the drop.

11. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm with Lilgriz...

Daytime, I'd beach the boat on the island or anchor just below. I'd try to fish just above the drop, at the drop, and below the drop.

Nighttime, I'd anchor just above the island to fish the riffles, or just below them.

This looks like an area you could anchor multiple times and spend some time in, as I didn't see any prominent piece of cover in it. If you had a submerged tree somewhere close to that hole, it would be a perfect spot!

Shawn

12. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I'ma still trying ta do a head stand on my 'puter table so's I kin read the map!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

13. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish jainsc

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well im glad this hole is a secret, you guy hit them good! lol

the best areas for me have been the sides of the hole + up on the flat on the rite and the tailout,bolders included. the core of this hole is very turbid and havent had any luck there. this river can rise(in heavy rains)15+ft in a day so there isnt any timber usually either. i have to admit i havent placed baits above the island or fished it in high water due to boundry issues. anyone elase have a good hole they want to draw out?

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well definetely in the Spring time, I'd shoot the shallow area a lot more than the deeper hole. As the dog days come, I'd shoot the deep hole where it is cooler.

16. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    I agree with edge of big hole behind island.