how would you fish this area

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oklahoma caveman, Apr 24, 2008.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    it is a river that flows thru a hydroelectric dam, that also has a reregulation dam on it that causes the water to back up and form a small lake, maybe 5 miles long and up to a 1/4 wide. the water depth flunctuates sometimes daily up to 6 or 8 foot differences, and the water temp is roughly 60 year round. it is crystal clear water full of flooded timber on the bankas of the flooded river bed and coontail moss encompassing everything but the river channel. there are a half dozen intermittent creeks that flow into it forming decent coves. the upper end is gravel bottom while the rest is a silt bottom.

large flatheads have been seen in it and i know of 1 trotline hook that has been straightened. but alas it is now rod and reel only. iv never tried catfishing it and would like some pointers, if anybody out there can help

2. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Try fishing around the submerged trees first. From what i have heard, Flatheads love heavy cover like trees. Try the coves as well. They may hold large fish.

3. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    anybody else? please help me out here cuz i dont even know where to begin

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey im not from your area but I can tell you one thing thats good you said at that place there is all kinds of creek streams that flows into the lakes, I would fish into some of them creek streams, alot of time you can find some good cats in the channels, and if I was you i would try some cut bait, and chicken livers and night crawlers, and if you have any shrimp try that to, you should have something biting on one of these baits, I dont know if this is helped you or not but its something that i have learned from experience.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would start in one of the creeks that enter the river myself, also the spot where the gravel bottom is should be a great spot as the cat will more than likely seek this out for spawning. any of the heavy trees/brush should hold good fish also, and either cut bait for channel, or live whole on them flathead, If you can get where the gravel is I myself would set there probably more so than the creeks, only because that is the type of spots I fish here on the river for flathead, generally this time of year here they are moving to spawn and the 3 spots I fish the most are where the clay/mud bottom turns into the gravel and rock from and old roadbed, also has a constant current on it. Look at the bright side tho, sounds like some good time to spend figuring out your own spot, luck to ya have fun this summer working on it.