How would you fish this area?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oldwhiskers, Mar 25, 2006.

1. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I have included a couple of snippets from a contour map of a lake and was wanting to get some recommendations for fishing an area like this.

I am interested in drift fishing and setting out some jugs in the daytime.

Attached Files:

2. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well oldwiskers i beleive id use a rod & reel. :) just kiddin saw your post and just could resist. i dont fish lakes so i realy cant help. but i do plan on fishing some lakes this year, so ill keep an eye on this post. some one will be along shortly to give you and me both some advice on it.

3. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    We really need to know if your fishing from a boat or if your banking. I would be looking for places where the creek channel get close to the bank near points and structure. The point in between the launch and the old sunken bridge would definitely get the call after all the traffic settled down. The second pic I would probably pull some drifts over that point just to the right of the 25 foot drop off. I hope this helps but I could really use some more info what scale are the pics? Is north up? Which way does the lakes current flow?

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    In the first picture, I would focus on the creek channel where it bends next to the bank.

5. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I would be fishing this area from a boat. North is at the top of the pictures. The scale on the map is 1-3/4"=4000FT. The maps segments are almost exactly the same size as scanned.

I chose the areas on the map that I posted due to the river channel running close to the shore and shallow water as well as the areas of flooded timber with the river channel cutting through it. I was hoping to get the best of the spring/summer fishing in this area.

I have a depth finder (not the best) and could scan the area to see how the fish were holding. I have not fished this lake much and I want to pick a good area to fish. I probably will start night fishing there at some time.

6. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i think i saw a bridge in the first picture. always a good spot, especially on those hot sunny days. not sure if the lake has a dam or powerplant but those are also pretty decent spots too.

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    So that would make each pic a fairly good chunk of territory about 4sq miles. I stand by my original post and would add that the area north-east of boat ramp that is cut off but the channel sweeps back toward the bank would be better place to try during high traffic hours.

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Timber sucks for drift fishing!!

In the first picture I would fish the "oxbow" to the east of the existing channel. That would be second choice, the old road bed would be my first choice(follow the boatramp road on out). Are their Blues in this body of water?? Winter, roadbed, timber, should work.

I don't know how I'd fish the second picture.............still thinking about that roadbed, oxbow and timber:)

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Try and fish the breaks where the depth changes. If your in a boat, try and throwing one line in the deeper hole, and one on the break there where it goes into about 15' and another on the break where it gets shallower around 5'. If your fishing from the bank, I would go with the suggestions from other posts in fishing the channel where it bends closest to the bank. Good luck.

10. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    There are supposed to be blues, flats and channels in this lake. If all goes well, I should be hitting the lake a lot soon. I have never drift fished for the blues, but I am sure wanting to this soon.