How would you do it? Set up a blind without scouting a hunting area?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Sep 10, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am not afforded the opporunity to hunt on a private lease or own a 1000 acres of land so I hunt alot of public land. Sometimes when I arrive at the stand I already see flash lights and other hunters near by so I need to find another spot. Just by looking at a map what would you look for if who had to set up blind/without scouting in a hunting area.

2. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Bill, I personally would look for natural draws on the map. In year like this look for any source of water, and depending on how detailed the map look for the thickest part of the land as deer will use this as a sanctuary. Hunt between the thick stuff and the water source because the deer will get water when they start moving or before they bed back down. Look for any natural food sources while you are walking and obviously look for any sign. I hope this helps.

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am a little slow on the Techno uptake but quite by accident I started using GoogleEarth , for those areas I hunt and fish for that matter.

I was amazed how different things look from the couple thousand foot view.
    Things Like pinches , funnels , dry ponds, timber holes, Fence lines, Powerlines.. Heck all sorts of things that go into influencing how the critters in an area Travel.

There might be a bedding area or a funnel a 1/4 mile from a draniage ditch that feeds directly to an old logging road that unless you spend days scouting you would never know about much less know it just might generate traffic.

Particularly on the boundries of the area ,which are often off limits to scouting.
    Give it a try .. I thinking ya just might like it.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    First off Id not move if there were good sign!!! Stay put and let these other hunters move deer to you!!! I have had it happen more than once just by staying put!! I wish you well!!

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    heres what i do in this case. look at the map and decide on where most folks will be coming from. most of the time there is a parking area where everyone will be coming from. then take other means of entering the woods and come in the back door. might have a longer walk than most folks but be setup at least a hour before daylight and let things settle down in your area. once the other hunters start entering the woods you should be setup for the before daylight deer drive....lol. really this has worked for me alot of times. you can combine this method with some scouting also. i once shot a nice 8 point that came in on me a hour before daylight. i never seen the deer but i heard it 20 yards from me. once it cracked light i had forgot about the deer until a squirrel came bouncing down through the woods and he started barking like crazy and i heard something move and it was the buck. he had got up from his bed and started moving off. no dout in my mind other hunters pushed that deer to me. i had walked in from the interstate side(backdoor) and everyone else came from the local roads including my two hunting buddies. i was about the first shot fired on opening morning. stand turned out to be a great spot to hunt also. nobody in my group wanted to hunt it until i got the deer and then they was fighting over....lol. a boat would also be a great method to come into the back door when possible also. cold ride but it could pay off big. you ever hear about folks fishing in the winter that dont hunt and tell you about the big bucks they saw while fishing and hunting season was going on. give the back door method a try. i think you will like it.:wink:

6. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    You can allso try huntin in the middle of the day after everybody is back at camp, or home. The wood are quiet not as many people out, and the deer will move a little more. It's worked for me a few times.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One of the types of places where I generally had very good luck was areas that had been recently clearcut. Best to try to catch it while there are still twigs & leaves on the discarded brush, but late enough that the new growth is greening up some.

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    I have had this problem many times,i begin by checking the map and finding the most remote locations away from all roads.if you can park near it i dont even hunt it.i look for waterways creeks anything i can ,to get me away from other hunters .canoes are deadly ways to get away from the pressured areas into the deer.if i cant get in by water or get away from roads i dont hunt it, i look for another area.i have hunted alot of these areas and never seen another hunter they just wont go where i go.in three different areas i waded thru swampy areas that nobody would cross and set up my stands there,one of my stands was in a lone oak tree in the water located in the middle of the swamp.deer know hunters avoid water so they naturally use it to escape.in most public hunting areas there is somewhere hunters wont go,and deer do i just look at all the public areas near me until i find what im looking for .

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There's a lot of public land around reservoirs, much of it inaccessable to anyone but adjacent landowners, or boaters. Much of it goes begging.

Last spring, I put a friend on a gobbler, using my canoe. Id seen the bird strutting in the middle of a pasture on private property, but the canoe put my buddy in position to call the bird onto public land. I'm confident there's deer to be hunted there, too.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

I do pretty much the same thing. 90% of all my deer stands are really only accessable by boat. We scout and look for the usual good places but all of our stands are 50 yards or less from the water. We look for natural funnels with maps like google earth. My favorite place last year was up the river on one of my corps lakes. The nearest public road was two miles away so no problem of other public hunters unless they were by boat. I was set up in this natural funnel. River on one side, the forest necked down to thrity yards before opening into a bean field. Tons of deer coming through the woods to take by bow or a good rifle or blackpower shot across the bean field.

11. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    man dave and chris you hit it right on the head,its my opinion that some of the biggest bucks in the world live in or around the lakes and rivers and some of them are almost untouchable,unless you have a boat.i have stands along the missouri river and none are more than 75 yards from the water hows that for the back door.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    in that situation, I'd probably still hunt. Away from them. The terrain would make my decision, trails, draws, cover, food water. If I couldn't hunt where I wanted to, I"d keep movin to where I had some solitude.

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks;
    I have hunted most of my life. The fact that other hunters are in the general area should be a safety concern, that being said. They will move the deer for you. Know your target and use the information to aid you.
    In a swamp look for a higher ground surrounded by water, you will see a place over run with tracks.
    In forest the natural funnels are best. Consider a creek bed with hardwoods next to some ag fields.
    In fields look at the lower areas and the outlets from funnels and draws.
    In the desert look for water and waddi's where hills or mountains join low lands.

The wind is your biggest enemy learn to use it as your target use's it.
    White oaks and any type of fruit tree are deer magnets.
    I hope this is of use to you, I love the outdoors, The people who embrace the outdoors tend to be the folks I like cause they are self reliant.
    God gave all of us a great gift we have to show the proper stewartship to maintain it.