How would you catch this fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by 10gaOkie, Jul 7, 2008.

1. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Three times I have hooked what I believe is the same fish and lost him three times. He has broke my 20# mono line twice and hung me up the third. I am just guessing that it is a big flat but of course it's just a guess. All three times he has taken my bait right at the bank using a slip cork and swims the same direction, 45 degrees to the bank. I think after setting the hook he hugs the bottom, takes off like a rocket and I can't hold or turn him. The third time, I used a circle hook and did not set the hook but he hung me up about 30 feet out. Somehow, I have got to either stop him or at least pull him away from the bottom. Right now, my plan is to use my heaviest rod and reel, load up some 30-50# mono, use a heavy kahale hook and try to hold him. Another problem in the scenario is that the bank is sloaped toward the water and hard to stand. Next time he may vary well pull me in with him. I am pretty sure that the cat stays in a hole back under the bank.
    Chris

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    you are on the right track with the heavier equippment maybe drive a couple of tent pegs in the bank for a good footing good luck let us know who wins :big_smile: i got 1 over here that lives in a tree broke me off 4 times last summer but i try him or her every time i go that way

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    get heavier line and turn him sometimes this dont even work but maybe it will give you a fighting chance
    i like a shorter stiffer pole so i can turn him:cool2:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id agree that you need to try heavier line and a stiffer rod. I am also a firm believer in Kahle hooks.

5. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Sounds like this one is going to get personal. Good luck with the heavier gear.

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I don't suppose you consider high-explosives "sporting".

7. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ha ha, naw I didn't think about explosives but grabbling did cross my mind. But I tried that once in the Red River when I was young. Due to having a poor teacher, that was a baaad experience that I don't intend on doing again! I will stick with rod and reel pard. I just wonder if I would be better off going with braid instead of mono....maybe?
    Chris

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you have a real smart fish on your hands. There is not much you can do that you have not thought of already, except perhaps get a boat and target him from the opposite direction. Get that heavy duty pole and tighten up that drag, don't let him have anything and perhaps you can keep it tight enough to pull him off course just enough. Good luck and keep up posted. We all want that fish now!

9. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with them, stronger line.

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i myself like spiderwire 50lb for me:cool2:

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Keep us posted Chris, this is real life drama. If at all possible can you reach him from the other bank, or anchor a boat and pull it out and away?

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Well, first you go and get yourself one of them Zebco combos at WallyWorld.:smile2:

13. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    I would absolutely move to a braided line.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've had hooks straightened on set lines, because I didn't allow any give in the rig.

If I read this right, he's fishing a pretty short line on the stiffest rod he's got...gotta have a shock absorber in there, somewhere. I think his original plan is a good one.

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I say go to 60+ braided. I use spiderwire but I don't think it matters much. If you are going with braided go as heavy as you can. There is no reason to use 40 when you can get 60 or more. The line diameter is so small you'll love it when you put 150 yds of 60 pd test on a reel.I wouldn't go with a shorter stiffer pole if your going to braided I would keep a nice flexible pole and horse him in as best you can. Think about it, what if you go to say 30 pd test and he breaks off again and you decide this fish must be huge then you go to even heavier line and he never hits again because he's got to damn many hooks in is mouth already. I say go with over kill and make sure next time you bring him in. might also want to make sure you have somebody to help you land him since he's so good at breaking line.

16. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just have to say it because no one else is. Call me, I will come give you a hand! :cool2:

17. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    :0a26:I use 65-80 lb spyderwire and then 50-60 lb mono for a leader so it still has some strech, but unfortunatly have never had the problem u are having cause i havn't hooked a hog yet!:big_smile:GOOD LUCK hope you get em!!:wink:

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    40# CXXXSTRONG P-LINE #9-10 Octopus Gamakatzu, your reel and a 7-8 hvy rod, Hook it to your bumper and pull , and set the drag that it barely lets off under full pull..I can almost say that fish is at home right there and their is a root,rock, stump or something nearby he knows will help him get away, since you say he runs the same way each time you have been broken off..

Put you some pegs in the ground as said, dig you a foot hold or tie yourself off somehow.. When that Big boy rips your bait, raise that rod like you was trying to lift the bumper and he will surely turn your way..(hopefully) :wink::smile2: I've turned many a big fish with this setup and it has never failed me yet..The 57# blue I caught, when he got to the surface and made a run he did'nt get 4' without turning my way..hope this Helps..

19. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I agree with flame, hook it to your bumper and go like hell...................lmao:big_smile:

20. whiskerRay

whiskerRay New Member

State:
    tx
    First thing I would do is get some type of footing for yourself. This will give you the leverage that you are losing with smaller line. The strength you are losing in your legs is crucial. Get stronger line but I would concentrate on your footing first. Cut some stakes out of 2x4's and drive them at least 12 inches in the ground with the smaller 2" side facing you, this side is stronger. Put about ten of these in the ground and nail a 2x4 or 2x6 against them to brace your feet on and sit on your ass and get him before I come up in a boat from the other side lol.

Good Luck, im jealous of that big tug of war your going to have.