How would a pontoon handle on the Ohio?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kitsinni, Jan 8, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been looking for a boat for a while now, trying to cover my bases here. This boat is going to be used on the Ohio River a lot, and sometimes on some 5-10K acre lakes with a lot of ski boats. Would a pontoon be ok on the river? I am thinking barge wake and wind would be rough. It seems like the perfect catfishing rig otherwise. I am thinking I am going to need a Deep V-Haul aluminum boat in reality, but I thought I would check with the experts first!

Thanks!

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

SHoot if they went a little faster and werent such a pain to get on the trailer, i would have one..You would be just fine with a pontoon man, i know a few cat guys on the ohio that fish out of them

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    As far as wind goes...It sucks for everyone.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are they a whole lot more difficult to get on a trailer? I will be pulling this with a V6 Ford Ranger 4X4, it is rated to tow 5500LBS, but it is a wide load. I think the truck should be able to handle the tow.

5. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have a 21 ft. tracker with a 40h.p. mercury , yes it is slow but comfortable .
    The wind does not bother me that much and as for getting it on the trailer I can drive mine right on with no problems. This is my second one and I love it.It is a little different than driving a boat , if you want speed put a 90 on it and it will pull a skier.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm not real sure the V-6 would pull the boat comfortably, unless each pull was a very short distance. Pulling pontoons is rough on engines and trannys, because they have a LOT of drag with the wind.

Bill in SC

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is something to think about, I wondered about that. Thanks for the info.

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have a 24 pontoon with a 90 merc. I can ride the lake 25mph but it sucks up gas. I like my pontoon alot, its rigged for catfishing but a couple draw backs would be towing, it's not heavy but it is big. I do allright with it but pulling my ski boat is a dream compared to the toon. Ive debated getting another trailer for it but also debateing getting a boat. gas milage is an issue if I run over 15 mph. but the things I like far out weigh the things I dont like. I can walk around and sit in different places, that goes a long way for comfort when fishing for several hours or overnighters. I can take practily anything I want with me, drift socks, castnet, 5 gallon buckets,coolers, extra clothes, heater, dog and alot more. it takes decent size wake without as much rocking but when its large swells you will get wet trying to go at speed. I fish by myself so a boat probably more suited for me but I like my catoon and will keep it if I get a boat.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Well I say slow cause im used to runnin about 45 mph in my boat...So anything less that 25 to me feels like a crawl..Thats just me though.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <.So anything less that 25 to me feels like a crawl..Thats just me though.>

I agree that a 25 mph minimum speed is pretty much necessary for things to work right.

Bill in SC

11. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    My pontoon boat is a 1995 , I bought a new truck and a new boat the same day .The truck was a chevy 1500 . I had no trouble pulling it , after nearly 200,000 miles I just bought a new dodge ram and I can not tell the boat is back there. I live on the lake and it takes me about 5 min. to put the boat in so, I do not tow great distances but have pulled it to Blue Mountain lake several times with the V6.

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My Uncle has a little shack in Kentucky on the Ohio. It is basically a bunch of trailers on the river with a boat launch and places people keep their boats. I would probably keep the pontoon there if I get one because my uncle just goes to the shack and picks bluegrass around the camp fire and he does not have a boat. I might take it on about a 1-1.5 hour each way trip to a lake sometimes also.