How will the price of gas affect your fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, May 22, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yesterday a gallon of regular gas hit $4.00 in Newark. The $4.00 gas is what we are paying for the $120.00 barrel oil. Yesterday a barrel of oil sold for $135.00 and they say this could relate to a $5.00 gallon of gas by the end of next month.

How do you plan to compensate for the extra cost of gas this year while fishing? Will you fish less, closer to home, bank fish more, fish on the buddy system more, buy a canoe, or sell your boat and by a rocking chair?

Myself, I will have have to fish less from my boat and closer to home and if gas goes over $5.00, I will probably just sell it and take up knitting. Garry- :angry::eek:oooh::angry::eek:oooh::angry:

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    you are right on that subject and just dont know what to think especially when it is effecting us so much
    i hate to bring it up but the price we are paying stinks because other countries i have researched are not paying the high dollars we are so it makes me think?
    why are we the super country and still the gov doesnt help us .
    but the presedent owns 7%of the company that is drilling for oil in iraq and nobady seems to think (we might have a problem)
    oh well back to the question at hand i am going to fish closer to home with fewer trips out oftown

3. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garry while your at it I could use a new scarf...sb

4. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Garry,
    Definately staying closer to home, had planned on going to Marietta this weekend, but with the gas prices and the river has cooled down with all this cool weather, I just can't justify spending the gas money for less than desireable fishing conditions.

5. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    Well for me ill be fishing closer to home, luckily i belong to a private club that has a nice size lake and nice population of cats, but ill make a few trips to my river holes, just not as much.

Last night on channel 7 news here in dayton, they went to caesars creek lake and was interviewing boat owners and every single one of them said they were going to cut way back on boating and quite a few said that they might not even use there boats this year, Electric only boating is really going to take off and alot more people will start doing it since it wont cost gas to fill the boat.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I am going to try to cut back on other expenses and continue to fish as usual. We were actually going to move closer to the lakes we fish, but with the house market so bad, we are going to have to wait it out. Sure gets expensive though.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Since I have to drive 100 miles a day to work and back, I will not drive to fish on the weekends, 10 miles max.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went with a kayak instead of a motorboat. That idea is seeming smarter and smarter lately. Only takes about a gallon of gaterade for the whole day.

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I think people will still use their boats. But they just wont run around on the lake or river as much. I know I am still going to fish but just stay closer to home unless I am going to be gone for a week.

Tom

10. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just got my first boat a few months ago, so i want to spend every weekend on the lake. I actually quit drinking and that gives me a lil extra cash. I also started making my fishing buddy pay for some of the costs, (bait, drinks, snacks, etc.) It gets expensive paying for everything. I do hope prices go down tho. The cheapest place in Bryan, Texas is at $3.79 a gallon, where as yesterday it was at $3.62. What a jump.. :crazy:

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I am thinking about moving closer to work, and then probably less fishing depends where i end up!!!!! or just bank fish a little more!!!

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't go fishing as much, don't wanna drive too far.

13. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Garry, what kind of boat do you have and I wear and x-lg sweater and size 11 socks with a 12" boot.

I'm staying closer to home, fishing the Meramec river when the waters high enough and planning on fishing the Missouri & Mississippi rivers more. They are all inside 25 miles from home to ramp.

14. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Gary
    I fish the ohio river and I live in Columbus. By the time I drive to the river and pulling my boat and back home. There is one tank of gas The other thing is I run gun when I am in t he river. I normally cover about 20 to 30 river miles and sometimes as many as 70. Last weekend I filled my boat that was $87 and my truck was 72. So for me to do what I like t do it will cost me $150 just in gas everytime I go. So this means No pre fishing before a tournament. All I can do during the tournaments now is hope I get lucky and place in the money.

15. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I am going to fish just a much as ever but I'm not going to use my boat anything like as much as I was use too.

16. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm going to probably and unfortunately fish less. When my truck is lucky to get anything over 13mpg I am not as worried about filling the boat as I am about getting the boat where I want to take it. My 17' '87 sea ray has a 3.0L in it and the jon boar just has a 3hp outboard and / or the oars. The bad thing is the truck mileage doesn't seem to vary much with the trailer, or just the jon in the bed, or unloaded for that point. Maybe I should have listened to my friend when he said I should go get an old S-10 to take to my sister's place in southeastern ohio to go deer hunting. It would come in handy just to be able to go fishing 10 - 15 miles from my house.

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Gas has affected my fishing quite a bit this year just about all of my money has been going to either paying bills, or getting back and forth from the doctor, hopefully ill be able to hit the lake again soon.

18. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'M NOT GOING LET THEM OILBAS--- CONTROL MY LIFE I WELL JUST CUT BACK A LITTLE AND BUDDIE FISH AND WHEN I GO TO THE RIVER I WILL DRIFT DOWN AND MOTOR BACK THAT WILL BE 1/2 THE GAS:big_smile:

19. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I go for days fishin rather than back n fourth when I do get a chance to go.

Opinion: The people that keep voting these tree huggers in should be real pleased when it hits $5.50 a gal n alot more people lose their jobs do to it.

We pay approx $2.50 in subsaties per gal. for ethanol and than are still forced to buy it.

:dribble:

20. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll fish but when i go, i'll stay the weekend. Also chasin jugs just went out the window for me. I can drift fish and let the wind pay for it. It's gonna get worse before it gets better i fear, and our economy will suffer in many aspects. The price of bait is going to coat more due to shipping and everything else we generally use will also.