How were they doing it?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Last Saturday below Mel Price (in the tailwaters) the current was rolling pretty good. I couldn't keep an 8 oz. no-roll on the bottom, not even close.

Yet there was a boat that was anchored at the "do not cross" line and fishing from the front of the boat........ towards the gates.:eek:oooh:

The entire bottom area below the gates in this area is all big rip-rap. So is this just a case of lobbing it upstream and letting it hang up in the rocks, hoping a fish takes it and if not just hoping you can retrieve it, or just using it as a sacrificial sinker on lighter line???? Pretty hard to get a snag loose by pulling in the same direction it hung up at.

I don't know if this worked out for anyone as I didn't see any fish caught. They stayed at it for a few hours though. I was too busy looking at my own poles which were facing DOWNSTREAM!:smile2:

Guess I need to get that NEW MOLD fired up and pour me some 16 ouncers!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We saw a guy doing the same thing when I was over there. It took him a couple of casts to get it to hang and he lost a couple of rigs while we were there. I think it's one of those where you hope it hangs up and fish unsnags it for you. Not a fan of 3 way rigs, but if I tried it I'd rig it 3 way with light sinker line just in case the fish wasn't smart enough to realize he was supposed to unsnag the sinker for me.....:wink:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Kind of figured that was what was going on. I guess there is some "unfished" water up there and they may stack up against the gates also.

Gonna have to give it a shot at some point.

Alton has another 3 ft. of predicted rise before the crest this Friday. Will hang there briefly before the big fall. Fishing will be tough for a while if not impossible to even get out there.

Bumming!:sad2:

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    A lot of people that fish into or side current use wire or claw sinkers. If the bottom is not solid sand the sinker will grab ahold and usually the fish or you jerking will straighten out the wires. I would recomend using 40 lb. or bigger line when fishing in this manner. Tie the sinker on the bottom then go up 1.5 to 3 ft. and tie a dropper loop to attach your hook to. Thats how we bank fish below the dams in this area. Big poles,big line and big reels.

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Thanks, the bottom there was built with Rip-Rap so a claw type might be the ticket. Thanks for the suggestion.

Might have to conjure something up.

Frying some fish tonight for my birthday, might just have to throw the lead pot on and see what I can come up with.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Fried fish is the best ya can do on your birthday. LOL! Have a "HAPPY" one.

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    You might want to rethink the frying fish in the lead pot idea, LOL :crazy::eek:oooh:

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Yeah, lead is a soft metal but it could break a tooth. Besides I think lead is not to good for you.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    LOL Happy birthday to you Darryl.

10. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    sounds to me like you could lose more tackle than catch fish enjoy the fish fry daryl and happy b-day

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Happy Birthday Darryl, Don't get your pot:eek:oooh: I mean your lead and fish cooking pots mixed up:smile2:.

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Happy Birthday Darryl!

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Happy Birthday Darryl, enjoy the fish! Are you gonna try to get out before the river crests?

14. grinnel

grinnel New Member

State:
    Pool 25, Mississippi MO
    Darrel1, sent you a PM.

Btw, happy B-day!!!!! Mine is tomorrow! :cheers:

Grinnel

15. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    happy birthday darryl!!!!!!!!!!:009::005:

16. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Must have been a lot of important people born in August. Mine was Sunday! Happy Birthday all!

17. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Happy birthday Darryl! About what u saw, there some thing that should be kept to yourself kinda like the the unwritten rules of the Melvin Price locals:wink: . I think some things should be left up to the individual fisherman's imagination, don't take any of this the wrong way its just comming from someone who had to learn alot about the Mississippi River on my own and came up with my own ideas.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Okay Justin, you're right I don't know how to take that. I thought we were all here to learn. Guess I'll remember to keep my secrets from people like you who don't want to share. Ummmmm. Like you said, don't take that the wrong way. Peace!

19. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    You're right we are here to learn.

20. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Happy B-Day Daryl!!!

I think you're right Doug...mine is Friday...:smile2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.