How well does magic bait work?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by katlover, Feb 12, 2006.

1. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    I shore fish in natural lakes not reservoirs. I wanted to know how well magic bait cubes work. I've seen them in the store and am tempted to buy them but I want to know how well they work first. Has anyone had success with this bait in either lakes or rivers?

2. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    well I gota tell ya' I have tried all kinds of store bought bait. I can not recommend any of it. It also depends on what kind of catfish you are trying to catch. If I was going to catch small chanel cat in a res or lake and wanted to buy bait from a store I would try something like chichen liver or shimp. But if you going to go after anything with some size, I would buy some worms and small hooks and catch bluegil for bait.Use it whole or cut it up, it won't matter. they will eat it.

3. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I tried magic bait cubes in a pond once, didn't catch mutch, but a few mudcats (bullheads). I know a guy that puts dry dog food, and a can of tuna fish a some pvc pipe, drill holes in pipe, close bothends weight it down, and let it sit over nite. Next day he has a lot of luck. He catches some nice fish, I think he use nitecrawlers for bait.
    If you try be sure to tie it off to something so you can take the pipe home with you, after your done fishing.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I love Magic Baits Hog Wild. I stand by the stuff 100%. I have caught more channels on the stuff then any other bait. It is a great bait for eater size kitties. Hog Wild Premo is the best. Good luck if you try it.

5. cooterbrown

cooterbrown New Member

State:
    illinois
    they only luck ive had was on hog wild and just in ponds but i work at wal-mart and we have some of those magic bait dough balls on clearance right now so i was thinking about getting them just cause they were cheap oh yeah if you guys need to know anything i got the hook up for ya on stuff like that since i have then inside info

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i won a local multi species tourny a couple of years ago w/ a fair sized (4lb and very pretty) channel cat on a worm after tossing some of the magic bait chum in the area i was fishing... Can't say it helped or didn't with me catching the fish but buy some and try it out... if it works it works if it doesn't it doesn't and you don't buy any more...

I would say go w/ chicken liver or worms though just to find the fish

7. DaiwaDad

DaiwaDad New Member

State:
    Virginia
    if you're goin after channels it works great. from ponds to rivers and lakes. ive even caught a few blues on the chicken blood flavor.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I love the stuff and my son will only fish with it. I dont know about if its the best, but I never leave home without some. Its simple to keep on hand, stays on a hood decently, and the cats seem to like it. Will you catch a record fish on it. Who knows, but you will fill a skillet.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont use it much anymore but Magic Bait dough balls works good for me when I have used it. Channel Cats on my lake love the stuff. Hog Wild dip baits is what I learned to like. I cant wait to try my new looper rigs with it. I like dip baits cause I dont have to get it all over my hands.
    Use a stick, push it in and pull it out. Cast, wait and set the hook. LOL.

I also like useing worms. I'll be useing more cut bait this year and bream heads.

10. Wyndigo

Wyndigo New Member

State:
    gone
    I tried the magic bait premo super sticky after another person on this site (BigCountry01) meantioned that it worked in a small lake where we both fish at, have a look here
    http://photobucket.com/albums/f319/Wyndigo1962/
    all the fish here were caught on it, my largest on the page was about 7 pounds and one I didnt get a picture of was between 8-10 pounds, both caught on magic bait.

Wyndigo

11. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    He catch that rabbit with magic bait?
    Premo seems to be the best.
    Loop

12. Wyndigo

Wyndigo New Member

State:
    gone
    He catch that rabbit with magic bait?
    Premo seems to be the best.
    Loop

LOL Loop nah I bought them at an auction, gonna be cooking them both very soon, havent had any rabbit to eat in years now :)
    and yep, that premo is good stuff

Wyndigo

13. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    If you know how to do magic, and your a wizzard you are good.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Can you use the treble hooks with the spring with say the premos super sticky bait or do you have to use a dip worm?

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Never Had Any Luck @ All On Any Of Their Dough baits, Tried All Flavors With NO Successs, But Then Again I Haven't Had any Luck With DK's Punch Bait Either.

I Just Recieved An Order Of Sure -Shot I'll Get Back With My Results, Hope They Are Worth Telling

Good Luck, Elliot

16. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I have been very loyal to MB and I have caught slim to none.:sad: I will be going to worms on my next trip.:eek: I will have to do better because I can't do worse.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Never Had Any Luck With Magic Bait Better Luck With Dip Baits. Like Sonny's Or My Favorite ( Charlies) Blood Or Cheese. Everyone Has Thier Own Favorite. All You Can Do Is Try It And See What Happens. Good Luck What Ever You Use.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Its usually hit or miss for me. One day its magic the next day its not. Ive lost a pole using the king cat blood. I always have a package in the tackle box in case I feel like using it, the stuff stays good for years.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't rightly know that its right blaming the bait when it is more than likely the finicky notion of the catfish not to eat that day. I don't believe it is any better than any other artificially produced bait. BUT, I don't think it is any worse either. Nothing can replace a natural bait like shad or skipjack, but we keep trying, don't we. Maybe we should only be allowed to fish with worms...no telling what we'd catch.

20. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Never had luck with the cubes but always get bites with my Hog Wild Premo. But, you will always find that different baits work in different bodies of water.