How well do pontoons handle wind and rough water

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catmando2, Jan 22, 2008.

1. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Heard a lot of people like pontoon boats for room and comfort while fishing
    I have never been on one and was wondering how they handle in windy conditions and also how smooth they ride in choppy water. my local lake whitecaps a lot if the wind is blowing

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i the waves arent too big its not bad, but u will get a little wet. They can be hard to anchor in real windy conditions, but someone said in another thread that changing the sides to chain link might help that, Other than that, they are real comfortable to fish from w/ all the room u get. Others will chime in & give more opinions, but i love mine, it will be ur preference, maybe try & get someone to take u out in theres while windy to see if u like it!!!

3. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    johnny i use a 25ft trytoon on lake moultry down on the santee i love it if you get big enough motor you can get on top of 3ft waves i have no trouble handeling ruf water i drift fish up to 25mph winds with the help of drift socs i use my pontoon all over the country in rivers an lakes if i could have any boat made i whould choose another pontoon.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    on a normal day there is no better ride than a toon, When your going 30+ mph you could get a spray but you could with boats also. Pontoon are very stable on the water and ride normal waves like a champ.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    One of the things I have found that helped with the water drag and spray on mine is I under skinned mine and it cut the spray way down. If you have one loaded heavy then you will get more spray from the front of the toons because the strakes aren't wide enough to deflect all the water but over all I would rate the whole deal with an A+

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Johnny, I've been fishing from my "Catoon" for 17 years now, wouldn't have anything else. Yes, you can get some spray in rough water, but if it's warm, who cares, cools you off. I did the same with mine as Willard, sheeted the underside of the deck with aluminum sheeting(underskinned). Not only does it cut down on the spray, at the same RPM, my MPH increased around 4 to 6 miles per hour depending on lake conditions, also, it's a much smoother ride. I have a 20ft with a 90 HP Merc.
    For Catfishing comfort, I wouldn't have anything else, I'm sure the family would enjoy it too!
    Ron's is a bigger rig than mine, but it's a great looking Toon.

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Me and my uncle have thought about getting one many of times because we love the thought of more room. The only thing that holds us back from getting one is we always wonder how one would pull behind the truck with those chinsey looking trailers there on. Most of these i have seen evan have the little rims and tires. i understand why though, most of the pontoon boats just stay in the water most of the time. We would be taking ours in and out of the water every time we go to the river. I would say on average 3 days a week until winter and things start to get into the teens (like now). The only other thing we always wondered about is, we can get our tri-hall boat into some very shallow spots for getting shad, sometimes the prop is blowing mud up in the air to get up into some of the shallower areas we sometimes get our shad. We always wondered if these boats would evan go up in these shallow areas??? The other thing that we wonder about is anchoring in current. with our boat we just have the basic catfish rig where we have our poles pointed straight out the back of the boat. We always thought this way would be hard to fish out of a pontoon because most of the time there is awnings and seats and fuel tanks back there. yeah you could anchor off the back of the boat and fish off the front with the front aiming downstream but it just looks like it would be very hard to anchor off the back of those boats. Don't get me wrong i wish there was an easy way to anchor these boats and fish the same (out the back) way as out of our tri-haul. If that were the case we would have already had one. Maybe some of you could answer some of these questions for me. Do the trailers tow the way the look? Will they get up in super shallow water to get bait? And is there really a good way to anchor these boats. I have always thought that the best boat That i could ever imagine having would be a pontoon boat with nothing in it but a motor, small console with 2 seats. The rest wide open nothing but room. I have seen some beater pontoons around here for sale that would be good candidates for this. Wonder if you could move the console, steering, and seets up towards the front and have more room in the back to fish straight out the back. You know, anchor off the front of the boat like you would do with a regular boat? Im kind of excited this thread popped up. Im definetly interested in what some of the answers are that i will get back.

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    the beauty of a toon is that if you rebuild one you can change it is you please. Long as you don't get too much weight forward you can dream away.

As far as the wind it does blow around some but the trade off is worth it. as far as white caps, my 24ftr does great in 18-24 inch swells or caps. I found that out the other night when we were catching white perch and a storm blew in. before we knew it we had to leave in a hurry and had no problem.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Robin your ship may have come in:big_smile:.I believe Bass Tracker now makes a center console pontoon and I have seen other companies that are now doing this..Most companies have a fishing model that doesnt have all that stuff and allows easy fishing out the back.Anchoring is no different from a toon than any other boat.Your point about the flimsy trailers is dead on.My friends pontoon regularly blew out tires until he added another axle.Make sure you get a trailer with sufficient load capacity,this is a problem with all boats not just toons,because dealers traditionally skimp on the trailer to increase their profit margin.If I were getting a toon I would consider purchasing a trailer from a reputable company like Load Rite specifically designed to do the job.:smile2::big_smile:

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    We use to take my parents toon out to fish. It was great! Lots of room. But in the wind it stunk! They are like a sail in the wind.
    Bill

11. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As an old retired guy, I have had several boats over the years. One thing I found about pontoons is the magic number for speed is about 20 mph. You can put big motors on toons and go fast but it will really cost you for gas. It has been my experience that you are better off with a 40 or 50 horse on about a 20 foot toon. That will run about 20 and not break you buying gas. also make sure you get a good trailer- I hate blowouts- Been there- Done That!!!!!

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    The single axle trailer pulls well, but then again I've never hauled mine more than 45 miles one way to a lake. I think it would be better to get a double axle trailer, as for the small tires they can be changed out, mine has a big 5 lug pattern so u can change the wheels but u'll have to modify the bunks & fenders of course. I think they use those small tires cuz it's easier to get it to float off the trailer since they sit up so high already, u dont have to back in the water so far!!!

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a 20 ft Kayot toon and a 17 ft Tracker crappie boat... I'd much rather be in the Kayot in rough water than the little fishing boat. Just waves from another boat will bounce the Tracker where in the Kayot you would hardly feel them. But I try not to be caught in rough water for I live on a lake.

14. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Agreed... Owned both pontoon and 18ft jon boat... the jon boat might get you there faster, but ride was rougher. if anchord the jon boat would ride the ups and downs of the waves where the pontoon seems to cut this in half if not more.

the problem with anchoring the boat in windy conditions is most a lack of know how. You don't anchor straight down... prefer at least 45 degrees. Also having the correct anchors for your boat. Here in oklahoma the wind is the norm for most outings, using 2 20lb anchors holds me tight on my 20' pontoon.

15. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a 22' pontoon and it's great. The ride is smoother than other types of boats, I think. It also feels much more stable when you're anchored in someone's wake. Getting the boats with 3 pontoons instead of just 2 will make it even more stable. Three pontoons also allows a bigger motor that will let your boat go fast enough to "plane up" so the front lifts up and cuts through the chop better.

My only complaint is that the pontoon boats really catch the wind. It can be hard to stay anchored on windy days, and if you just want to drift you'll usually be blown around a lot faster than you want. It also can be really hard to dock or load up on a trailer in the wind. You'll just keep getting blown away. I've gotten pretty good at it, but I'm still hesitant to take it out alone on very windy days without someone else to help me dock.

Someone also asked about getting into shallow water with the pontoon. On mine, I can trim the outboard up all the way out of the water, then use poles to move the boat into very shallow water -- maybe 2', or 3' if I want to be extra careful about stumps and rocks that might be sticking up.

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've owned a few pontoons up to 32' and there is a lot of room on them but in the wind or on large rivers they just don't perform well and you have to launch fairly close to where you're going to fish for they don't do well on speed or gas mileage if you plan to travel far on the river or really large lakes. They are hard to hold at anchor in real windy conditions or in the larger rivers due to the barge traffic making huge waves which bounce you around like a cork.

17. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    You have definately given me more confidence in my future purchase of a pontoon. I know I will have a lot to learn about them, but with the help of BOC members this will be no problem, I am definately looking forward to more room and comfort.
    Thank's Guy's
    Catmando2

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    they dont handle either very well

19. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I had a 25 ft pontoon with a 115 Merc on Lake Texoma for over a year. (sold it when I got the RV) Smooth water, no wind or wakes... they aren't bad. Get a stiff headwind or big chop and you will feel it. I don't get those who say they ride better than a powerboat. A jon boat I can see, but not a well designed v-hull... A pontoon will hit swells and land hard, ride high and get blown around, and are a bear to trailer in a wind, especially a crosswind.

I won't own another one, but again that's one mans opinion. On a small lake or river with no big water, a toon may be fine...

20. kfloyd

kfloyd New Member

State:
    mississippi
    they are hard to launch in wind.but they are very nice .you can stand ,walk around,and have more people fish.