How well do fish know their territory?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ghosth, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I don't know about you, but recently I've had several large fish that when hooked headed immediately for the nearest obstacle, be it log, snag, riprap, stump or unseen obstacle.

Anyway it just got me thinking, how well do those fish know the waters they are swimming in?

Its raining outside so I thought I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge that you BOC members have.

Got a story, an opinion, an idea, lets hear it.

On a side note, we know some fish travel some pretty significant distances. Does this mean they learn and know many many miles of river or shoreline?

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm of the opinion that they know their home waters better than we know our route to work every day. I read a study ounce where they tagged a flathead and he stayed in the same hole in the river until he went to feed. He or she would travel way up river to the dam and feed when done return back to the same hole. Based on that and also finding blues in the same areas during the same time of year, weather condition, water temp etc... JMHO

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I agree.... with the senses that fish have they learn their area well and quick. When small they learn it for their own survival to keep from being eaten by bigger fish. When large they learn it as to have a good home and a to know where the bait fish will be and to know where the best ambush points will be.

Not the same breed but just look at the salmon. They swim hundreds of miles to return back to the same stream that they were born in to spawn.

Catfish not only know their area by smell, site and feel but by taste as well. The catfish's skin is covered by hundreds of thousands of taste buds and they can taste anything as far away as twenty feet. In the water that is extremely good.

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    No doubt they know their home waters extremely well. They also learn where your anchor line and prop are located rather quickly as well.