How was everyone's weekend?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Fishnhuntforever, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Well it was certainly nice to have a few days off. Though I tend to work harder at home then I do at work. Allen and I had a good fishing evening on Saturday. I lost count of the Bass and Bluegill and also managed to catch two cats later in the evening. The rattlesnake made it interesting! It looks like Robb managed to bring in a good cat! Way to go!:wink: I look forward to being able to one catching a 20+. Well I hope everyone had a great holiday.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It was great. I worked while the inlaws came to visit and then went fishing for a while and caught a few fish.

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I didnt have a long weekend. I had a short weekend followed by work on the 3rd, followed by yesterday off, which really didnt seem like an off-day since I did a TON of work round the home.

The wife and I disappeared into the woods in northern Michigan- Literally. 8.5 miles of dirt road followed by 2 miles of two-track in the woods. Stayed at a buddy's hunting lodge and drank margaritas. A very welcomed day and a half of rest.

Yesterday I got started at 5:45 am building my porch-deck that I've been planning for a year. I began last fall ordering cedar trees from an amish lumberyard. I got all of my wood very green and rough cut. Over the winter I hand-planed, then rounded the edges and sanded all of the wood except the wrap for the outside. I also pre-stained everything in March. Last week I did all of the underlayment work in treated lumber so the finish stuff will last a good 20 years if treated right.
    I wrapped my whole porch in cedar wood inside, put down the deck, then wrapped the base and deck of the porch in cedar and even had a good 3 hour battle with a hammer and chisel to make some of the finer points sit "just right". Finally as the day wore off, I completely cleaned up and I stained wherever I cut.

Just after dark last night I set the stain brush in the trash, sealed the can, and sat down on my new porch for a big steaming mug of green tea with spearmint leaves in it, and watched the last fleeting puffs of fireworks over the distant trees.

I am still pooped, but brothers and sisters, I have the best handmade porch in the world!!!

I cant wait till my wife gats home from her mom's... she has no clue what she's gonna see.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

If I get a chance, Im gonna take a few pics if my camera has film in it and post em soon.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sal sounds like you did a great job on the deck. I cant wait to see the pics. I know it is rewarding when you accomplish something like that. Good job brother.

5. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Sounds like your wife will be pleasantly surprised. You also sound like quite a craftsmen.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: LOL SAL ,sound like you did a super job on the porch/deck. What I really want to know is( WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SPARE TIME)?:roll_eyes:
    We'll all be waiting to see those pic.

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Spare time? Whats that? Is that the few minutes in between hammer swings where I poured myself some iced tea or the time spent drinking it?

I also smoked up some ribs and vacuum sealed them for our upcoming short-notice Michigan Gathering. I did one half slab of KC Masterpiece, a half slab of Sweet Baby Ray's, One half Red Pepper and Maple, and one half just dry rubbed.

So I guess I did do a lil bit of stuff in my spare time yesterday.:lol:
    Ill have to take some pics of the deck. Ill also include pics of the shutters, and flower boxes I did last year, and the garage from the summer before. I may not be a pro, but I sure love to tinker. The wood does all the beauty stuff itself.... as anyone who does any of that would tell ya.

8. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Heya, Sal? ...you ever tried GOIN' FISHING?? LOL!!! :big_smile:

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Fished Saturday. Played golf Sunday. Worked Monday. Fired up the smoker and had family over Tuesday. Other than Monday it was a pretty good weekend.

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Oh my goodness, NO! That is disgusting! Those fish dont know where my hands have been!

Those poor fish might come out smelling like.....

Oh wait, that would be redundant. Forget it.

ROTFL

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    i had a great weekend! Didnt do to much fishing and the time we did get out, we didnt catch anything worth mentioning. the wife and I whent out with some friends Sat. night and had family and friends over on the 4th for a cook out/b-day party for my daughter.

12. Mudville

Mudville New Member

fished friday and saturdat. caught one each day missed several and lost 2 on the reel in. but all was good skipped sunday adn yesterday due to the lake being packed. paddle boat renters don't look out for the lines and scare the fish.

13. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Well another weekend has past. Any good fishing stories? As for me I did not make it out for any fishing this weekend. Mostly work around the house. The only excitement was the UFC fight at a friends house. It was dissappointing. Ortiz made a joke out of Shamrock again. The main event between the big guy and the Russian was a boxing match and went five rounds. Of course I don't know how the fighters could hear through the "Boos". First bout was pretty bloody and some ofthe others were pretty but if you paid just so you could watch the Ortiz/ Shamrock fight you might see if there is a chance for a refund.

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Friday I went to hooters with afriend before he flew out on a business trip. Saturday I had a fishing tournament. Sunday I smoked a Boston butt, two slabs of ribs and fixed a beer can chicken and had all the family over for my daughter. The guy she married is home on leave from Korea and they came into town.

15. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Hooters, fishing and a Bar B Q all inthe same weekend! You are definatley living the good life:big_smile:

16. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    For me it's been bad news and good news. My wife spent 3 days in the hospital- possible stroke. Turns out it was dehydration and 80% blockage of a carotid artery. Now she is home, doing fine. My van had quit running so I was driving my race car with no AC in the heat. Had to drop the gas tank to get to the fuel pump. Found the bad electrical connection at the pump and got it running this morning without spending $200 for a new pump. Now I'm ready for some catfishin'.

17. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Capt Steve I hope your wife recovers quickly. I am a married man as well. If anything happened to my wife I know I would be a lost soul. Good luck with your fishing!

18. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Other Than Triple Digit Heat And Humidity...not Bad...but not Good. Went Fishin' Fri Evening...caught Nothing...went Sat Morning In My Personal Honey Hole...didnt Even Lose Bait! Me And Jaden Go Every Day After Work Normally...but Lately Its Judt Too Damn Hot...
    Shaun

19. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Ditto on the heat for us here. I go early morning or late at night to escape it. Fishing has been OK but I have high hopes it will pick up soon.

20. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno

Hope things are improving for your wife Steve I was add her to my prayer list my friend.

I did nothig this last weekend and its not happening anymore getting back into fishing no matter how hot it is this laying around craps for the boyds.