How To's Of Using A Marine Radio

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Sunbird, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    When I purchased my boat it had a marine radio in it. I thought I would not ever need that and took it out.:embarassed: I have been stuck on the water twice and had to troll home:sad2: last time my cell phone was dead and it took 6hrs. to get to the landing! I have since reinstalled the radio but don't really know the rules or anything else about it.

Are there specific channels for certain lakes or is it a buddy system?

What are the emergency channels?

What should I never do? :smile2::smile2::confused2:

What kind of range do these radios have?

Lastly............who is gonna come get me next time?:smile2::smile2: JK (I won't need it now that I have it)

Any help would be appreciated.

2. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I have no clue about marine radio, and would like the answer to those questions as well. :smile2:

Karen and I both are hams, but neither of us has ever touched a marine radio, nor looked at the restrictions, if there are any.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Do yourself a quick google search on marine radio usage and you will be able to find a listing of what most channels are used for and how to use them,you can also look up the brand and model and sometimes you can download the manual and you will have all you need.
    Channel 16 is the emergency distress,I think and I am not positive on this,maybe someone else could say for sure,but the only lakes that are coast gaurd monitored in SC are Marion and Moultrie,I think Murray may be also.
    Most recreational boaters use the pleasure boaters channel of 69,71,10

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....the only lakes that are coast gaurd monitored in SC are Marion and Moultrie,I think Murray..."

Some places, like Lake Wylie, channel 16 is montored by local law enforcement. York County monitors marine band channel 16 and you can do a radio check with them while on Lake Wylie.

In the summer local law enforcement on the water monitors channel 16 on most lakes. Usually that only means the weekends.

Too bad more people do not have them. Billfish76, Mudkip, Martygreen and myself talk regularly during tournaments on Lake Wylie using the marine band radios.

5. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Good point Dieter,I forgot to even mention that Local law enforcement monitors channel 16 at some lakes and they also have the NOAA weather to monitor approching bad weather.
    And they are good to have aboard the boat to chat with other friends that are on the water.

6. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    On Lake Marion I use channel 74 to chat with friends. The Goat Island guides use 68 and Randolph's Landing uses 77. It is ok to chat on these channels and you don't have to worry about proper chat. Just no cussing due to kids and other adults that you might offend. The antenna is the most important part. A cheap radio will work great with a good antenna.Height makes a difference also!

7. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Anybody have experience with the hand helds-that would like to offer up their opinion?
    I have a couple other projects before a permanent radio install.
    You can PM me if you want to recommend or not recommend models.
    Thanks

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Anybody have experience with the hand helds-that would like to offer up their opinion?..."

I have a handheld and used it on the boat until I got one mounted. Handhelds have less range, and thye will drain through a battery quickly if you walk a lot. They are better than nothing, and I still use mind for weather and carry it our as a back-up in case there is an electrical system failure on big water like Santee.

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If you are on a major lake like Santee, or Wylie the Seatow/Tow Boat US people monitor channel 16 most of the time. 21 is the COAST GUARD channel, dont use unless its a emergency. As others have stated 68,69,70,72, are common channels that others on the water monitor and use for talking. Depending on the area you are in, there are channels that can be used to contact the marine opperator and make a collect call. If Im on a lake or waters where the radios are used often I will scan the popular channels untill I find the one that is most used. When Im offshore I dont leave the dock without turning on the radio, but on the lake I only turn it on when I know someone else has one, or to hear the weather.

10. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    [Too bad more people do not have them. Billfish76, Mudkip, Martygreen and myself talk regularly during tournaments on Lake Wylie using the marine band radios.[/quote]

I may be wrong but on some tourney trails it is against the rules to talk on a radio or cell phone. Just FYI.

What kind of range can you expect with a perm mounted radio. I have one but haven't ever had anyone respond.

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    My Radio is a Uniden and I have a Shakespeare antenna so I would suspect that it should have a pretty good range. I will let you know after I use it some. I will be on Monty this weekend if anyone will be up there that has a radio. I plan on using ch 68.

Thanks for all the responses and help.:smile2::smile2:

Who says you can't get any information on this site?:confused2:
    Thanks brothers!

12. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The range depends greatly on the area you are in. If you are in the back of a creek trying to talk out to someone on the main lake the trees are going to be a problem. Like said before the higher you can get the antenna the better. If you are in a open area, the range is greater.

I have a handheld that Ive used for years, In an open area the range isnt that bad(on a lake). If there are any trees, hills, ect.... I wont use it unless I can see the person, or know they are close( few hundred yards)

13. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.

I may be wrong but on some tourney trails it is against the rules to talk on a radio or cell phone. Just FYI.

You are correct on this Greg,I know of several that has that in there rules,the ones that Dieter is referring to is just a local run series on Wylie and its not in the rules,mainly we just BS on it anyway to pass the night on some of these slow bite Tourneys we have had lately on Wylie,our group also does not have that in our rules either.I certainly would not risk DQ on aTourney by using one if its stated in the rules,I have also seen some Tourneys that forbid cell phone usage to other participants during tourney hours.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    This sounds like something that might be good for someone to do some research on and maybe we can put it in the library for everyone to have access too. If nothing else, a chart with frequencies for some of the more popular places. Would really be nice to have one for each state. Just a thought.