How too; spoonbill eggs on hook?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rudepossum, Apr 8, 2007.

1. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would like some different ways to keep spoonbill eggs on my catfish hook.Never have used them for catfish bait, but have always been told the are one of the best. thx.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    David, before you go fishing with paddlefish eggs check this out. Mo. wildlife code says this. CSR 10-6.525 Paddlefish; (5) Extracted paddlefish eggs may not be possessed while on waters of the state or adjacent banks, and may not be transported. Paddlefish eggs may not bought or sold, or offered for sale. (6) Paddlefish, or parts thereof (including eggs), may not be used as bait. Just FYI. Don't want ya to get into trouble.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$ Those eggs are like gold. The guys around here West Tn. Pay for a new truck and boat in one winter season on the spoonbill eggs.
    Not sure what they are not. But I do know there way over $50 per pound.
    Pete

4. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Guess I need to get my nose out of the Oklahoma regs and make sure I know my own states regs. But i do most of my fishing over at Twin bridges and Grand lake in Oklahoma. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    David

I have never seen a Spoonbill or ones eggs so I suppose I would note be first choice for advise!
    Out west we cure our Salmon Eggs and Steelhead Eggs by spreading them out on wax paper drained as well as possible, cover the wax paper with Borax Scane side down them sprinkle a lot of Borax over the eggs, put into the Refer over night then shake of loose Borax and place them in a jar and keep them refrigerated. The Borax toughens up the Scane and keeps the eggs together.

Then we use an Egg Hook witch is nothing but a hook with the Snell Knot low on the shank and the leader going threw the eye of the hook, so that you have a loop of leader to help hold the eggs on.
    Some folks will mix in some Red Jell-O so than when they milk off the milk is no longer milk colored but red.

I have know idea if this has anything to do with Spoonbill Eggs, but should work. There is also several commercial cures should find some on line.

Paul

6. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    My uncle was telling me about a leader idea like that yesterday. Thx

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just checked online, and the price is $75 for 2 ounces. That's $600 a pound! Sounds like it would be a lot cheaper to soak dollar bills in blood, anise, or cheese and use them for bait.

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Now thats funny!!!

9. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also heard those eggs make great bait but like Kat in the Hat said here in missouri it would probably be abad idea to even have them.

10. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    David,

Many years ago, it was my job to tie spawn bags for salmon fishin and I just wrapped them up in little bundles, using old pantyhose... no additives, no treatments. Dunno if that'll work with these spoonbill eggs, but I noticed we have a bagful in the frig :wink: Worth a try... often the simplest method is best.