how to?

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by flathead kid, May 17, 2008.

1. flathead kid

flathead kid New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey im new to this and i was out on the river last weekend and saw a few guys pulling up hoop nets. They were catching a lot of blues and flatheads and i was just wandering how you would set a hoop net to catch catfish in a river. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    you have o have a rec hoop net license hat allows you 3 nets. I looks easy but is really a lot of hard work.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't know anything about nets. Welcome to the boc.

4. Igottheblues!

Igottheblues! New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    Hey Kyle, I'm not a netter, but I asked the same question to a friend of mine a while back who does a lot of netting when the water is up and running. His response was : that he always puts his nets out when the water is rising, says it gets the cats moving. He said to try the inside bends of the river, and look for deep holes on your graph and set up in front of them.... Hope this helps some !

5. basinmaster

basinmaster New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Flathead Kid,

Not sure of your location in La, but if you are south of Interstate 10 you cannot use recreational hoopnets. You will need a commercial and gear licsense to be legal. Recreational Hoop Nets still require a licsense with a limit of 3.
    The nets are expensive to buy and are a lot of work to set out and check.
    I use to fish commercially and used many nets and caught lots of catfish, but it was hard work.

6. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Kind of takes the fun out of fishing!

7. swb2stroke

swb2stroke New Member

State:
    lousisiana
    when ur getting low on catfish a hoop net will do it !!!!!! times of high water is the only time i have great luck but still trying!!!! just caught around 70 or so channel cat on yoyos with a worm water was up high!! i don't think bait in a hoop net matters when they r there there there you'll catch em!!

8. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    I used to run a few nets and what Igottheblues said is right. When the fish are running you don't need to bait your nets.

Sam W

9. Shannon Self

Shannon Self New Member

State:
    la
    I also live in La and I found the best times to ues hoopnets is in the spring and in the fall. If you are using them in the river, set them where the water funnels in 4-12 feet of water. If in a lakes set them around creeks or on flats just off the creek channel. Hope this helps.