How to use grasshoppers?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by buddah, Aug 26, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I am trying to learn the proper way to fish with grasshoppers. I have been using a #8 baitholder hook and hooking them through the "collar" but they seem to die rather quickly! Is this normal or is there a better way to thread them on the hook? I'm just curious as how others use them and weather they are best on the surface or underwater?
    Down at my fishing hole there are some walleye swirling in the shallows and can't seem to get them interested in anything. Can anyone help me out?

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent used grasshoppers in a while but I caught my first cat on one. It was the biggest dang grasshopper ive ever seen. I put a 1/0 hook through its abdomen and used a slipbobber rig about 3 foot deep. Ive tried them a few times after that but no luck.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thanks. I like the slip bobber thing. I was using very small splitshot like for fly fishin after the "kick" went out of em' and fished them subsurface. Just thought more people would know more about grasshopper and cricket fishing on here but guess not, huh? Looks like it might be pretty good choice for bait in late summer/fall around the farm feilds. at least in N.E. Pa. Thanks.

4. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive always wanted to try one on topwater, but I dont know if id be able to cast it. Just imagining it twitching and bleeding on the surface has me thinking at least a bass might come up and hit it. Im gonna try it next time I go.:smile2:

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's been years since I used grasshoppers and crickets,but I do remember they sure caught quite a few bluegills! here's a rep for ya,thanks for the memories!---pk powell:smile2:

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I thread one on the hook starting at the head, or put 2 or 3 on if using a larger hook.

7. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hoppers are great, great bait this time of year.

buddah--try using a light-wire, Aberdeen style hook and hook it lightly. Baitholder hooks may be too heavy and the extra barbs don't help the bait, neither. If your hopper comes off the hook too easy, cut yourself a disk of a plastic worm or grub and put it on after the hopper. It will help "slide-offs" but not "tear-offs"

derbycitycatman--if you want to cast your hopper, how 'bout fishing your hopper with a bobber? Or rigging up a trailer line behind a zara spook or jitterbug or other topwater lure?

8. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Very good idea, muddler. Ive used a small bubble bobber when fishing with lil skunks and it should be perfect for letting a hopper stay on top of the water. You done got me excited. :big_smile: