How to use crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jboy434, Jul 29, 2007.

1. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    could someone please tell me the best way to fish crawdads. what types of catfish like them the best?do they work good in lakes?

thanks for any help

2. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    catching them i know nothing about, i think they attract channels more, at least thats what i catch with them, if you fish with them in big lakes, i would dip them with some kind of scent to attract the fish, unless you have that special spot, i hook my crawdads behind the head or the tail

3. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    thanks for the help. i have never tried to fish with them. i have caught them before though in a minnow trap i had in a creek. i actually believe i caught more of them than minnows.

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    If you doodlesock with a crawdad, you are more likely to catch something... but you know not what. Everything eats a crawdad whenever the opportunity presents itself.

If the crawdad is placed carefully into or next to catfish structure (tree rootballs, holes in the bank, rock piles, driftwood, etc>) the chances of it being taken by the target species is increased, but don't be suprised if a non-target scalefish takes the bait.

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    depends on the size. i like to use smaller ones(3" or so) and hook em through the bottom of the abdomen and up just below the head. use em dead or alive. i dont get to use em much but i have ALWAYS caught good 5-8 lb channels on them and can see no reason why a flathead wouldnt hit one.

i also have a method of catching them and im gonna use this little opportunity to tell ya how.
    find a little crawdad hole by the water( thats where they go in and out of the creek, lake, pond or whatever) and tie a piece of raw bacon to a piece of light mono. drop it into the hole as far as you can get it to go.(it may take a few different little holes to find a crawdaddy but theres a million of em, trust me.) that little guy will tug on the bacon and when he does, slowly pull the line and bacon outta the hole and the crawdad will chase it out of there and then you just grab him! takes a while, but probably the best channel bait i have used. get you one!

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I use th same method to catch crawdads. I have caught lg mouth bass, channels, and gasper-gu on crawdads. like it was said earlier, u never know what your gonna catch on'em, but whatever it is, I just enjoy catchin fish. If its not my targeted fish, I release. I once caught a 20 lb gasper on a 3" crawday, talk about a fight. I thought I had a 30-40 lb cat.

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Kieth--Please take pity on a poor ignorant Kansas boy, and tell me what the heck a "gasper-gu" is. If it fights like that, I want to catch one too!!

8. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Make that a ignorant big city boy also. What in the world is a gasper-gu. If I can guess it would be a carp? Anyways I always wanted to try a crawdad myself wonder why none of the bait shops sell them.

10. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I catch them like Shane says except we use a cane pole, the crawdads will lots of times let go of the bacon, use no hook, before they reach shore. So we just have a long handled small net in the other hand below them to catch them on the way up. luck

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Catching crawdaddys can be accomplished in several ways well how i have caught them anyway. Find the tinest hook possible put a nib of worm on it and head for a crick or creek if you prefer i usually tie it to my finger to feel the devils bit and then gently pull it up. Another rig i use looks like a dustpan made out of rabbit wire. I head up creek and when i spy one i take my stick and put it in front of them till they back up in my "crawdad pan". Also if you tie a worm sac in a minnow trap crawdads will come to investigate. Hope this helps if not hoped it amused you all. I wont tell ya how i catch leeches.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    gasper-gu is what people from louisana call fresh water drum.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thank You-- I was afraid they were something they just have in Texas. Yep, big drum are fun.

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks ! :eek:oooh: